Easegill thread Re: UKC Conservation Rewards

Alex

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but are red rose planning to remove ALL ropes in Easegill as part of this?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
It is not part of this initiative, but I believe they are.

Ray Duffy and the Red Rose have announced that they plan a clean up in Easegill later in the year.  They have done many before and I will speak to them to see if a few 'rewards' would be useful to help their efforts.

They have also said they plan to remove any ropes that appear abandoned unless the owners get in touch first. 

Hope that helps.

Filter

Somehow that seems like a bad idea, especially if cavers aren't aware that this is happening. I could see a lot of accidents and/or ruined trips because the handline going into Fall Pot from Lancaster or the numerous handlines heading towards Mainline Terminus were gone and suddenly there was no safe way to get down/across.

Or are they simply talking about ratty, disused lines that will then be replaced?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Clean ups are always a good idea so let's not put them off that.

I don't think they are talking about removing the known fixed aids in the system.  More like those ropes which have appeared on pitches, climbs etc., in addition to the standard fixed aids, which seem to have been abandoned or have been left for a long time with unknown owners.

I'm sure fair warning will be given for whatever is planned.

langcliffe

Badlad said:
Alex said:
Can someone correct me if I am wrong but are red rose planning to remove ALL ropes in Easegill as part of this?
It is not part of this initiative, but I believe they are.

Ray Duffy and the Red Rose have announced that they plan a clean up in Easegill later in the year.  They have done many before and I will speak to them to see if a few 'rewards' would be useful to help their efforts.

They have also said they plan to remove any ropes that appear abandoned unless the owners get in touch first. 

Hope that helps.

I can't speak for Red Rose, but I suspect there is some confusion here. I am pretty sure that they are not intending to remove ALL ropes. The new rope recently installed in Arson Shaft was done with the full knowledge and approval of Ray Duffy (the Red Rose Conservation Officer), and there are plans afoot to use CNCC ropes to tidy up the Stake Pot and Fall Pot climbs.

There are, however, a number of abandoned and / or unnecessary ropes littering various parts of Ease Gill, and I suspect that they will disappear.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Have I added to the confusion?  Oh bum.  I didn't mean to imply ALL ropes, just all abandoned looking ropes of unknown origin.  Fixed aids, project ropes which are known to the club, etc., I'm sure will not be interfered with. 

Taking place in October I believe.  Plenty of time for the full details to emerge.  (y)

Alex

Thanks for the clear up, get it "clear up"  :chair:

I was a little concerned.