Jug Holes - Blue Arrows and Conservation Issues

AR

[gmod]This Topic was split off from the original Topic at http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19410.0 whcih is a request for assistance with removing the painted arrows in a cave. If you wish to discuss the Conservation issues, then post away here if you wish. [/gmod]

FFS, it's not like Jug Holes is hard to navigate round! There are times I would really like to "educate" the people who do this with the wire brush, rather than doing another scrubbing trip...

I might be free Sunday AM Pete but don't know for certain yet, an evening early next week might be a possibility also.

Peter Burgess

The unfortunate consequence of open access which we have to accept. The only thing to do is keep on top of the job of cleaning it off. Such a shame. Been there, done that.

Peter Burgess

"Which we have to accept" - this is the important phrase - good luck - annoying but necessary. There are too few people happy to do clean ups.

pwhole

Perhaps a cleverly-worded laminated DCA sign asking folks to not paint route markers might help? Maybe even put the survey on it? As I remember, it's only really the first bouldery section that's a bit confusing - I got lost in there myself the first time.

Brown

I'd agree that public perception is part of this problem.

I remember my initial caving forays which were in my late teens with some equally clueless friends. We thought we would get lost and die and left a trail of tape markers behind us to ensure our survival. We did recover them on the way out.

In retrospect I have found practically nowhere in the UK that is genuinely maze like and have up to now always found my way out without any significant issues.

A note advising that its hard to get lost and die could help though there could be liability issues when the next person gets lost and dies.

AR

The issue of "please do not spray arrows" signs has been mooted at Underground Conservation Forum meetings in the past after an outbreak in Masson, but didn't get taken further, I'm sure DCA will give this further consideration. Personally, I'd like a gibbet outside such sites with a crow-picked skeleton bearing the sign "paint sprayers be ye warned" but not everyone's keen on that idea, plus you may need planning permission for the gibbet. 

Laminated copies of surveys have also been considered but it's doubtful they'd stay there long....

ah147

Generally against signs in caves. Ends up looking like America...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger W

AR said:
Personally, I'd like a gibbet outside such sites with a crow-picked skeleton bearing the sign "paint sprayers be ye warned" but not everyone's keen on that idea, plus you may need planning permission for the gibbet. 

Even on CRoW land?

Madness

I was in Wapping a few weeks ago and there's a few arrows in there too (not blue ones). There was also the remains of tea lights and discarded batteries. We brought some out with us.

I wonder if there's some 'fly by night' outdoor pursuits person (I won't use the word Instructor) using some of the easy access caves/mines in the area and marking them up for ease of navigation.

Pete K

This exact thing had happened in Carlswark a while ago. Arrows from Eyam Dale Shaft to Gin. Hope that person is not back but I suspect it's all just people who don't know better.

Madness

Pete K said:
This exact thing had happened in Carlswark a while ago. Arrows from Eyam Dale Shaft to Gin. Hope that person is not back but I suspect it's all just people who don't know better.

That seems suspicious. Why put arrows on a through trip unless you're marking the way for someone? Is someone deliberately marking caves for group visits?

Pete K

We think a cowboy was responsible for the Carlswark arrows but (not having seen Jugholes yet) the new ones are perhaps typical of the Wapping/Masson/Box mine type route finding graffiti that is a bit of a by product for open mines with details on the internet. That said, I have recently picked up a load of purpose made plastic arrows from Holmebank that may mark a return of the dodgy leader.
Eyes peeled everyone!

Madness

Me and my mate Chris dropped into Jug Holes this morning with a wire brush ( and slight hangovers!) to remove the arrows.

They were definitely marking a circuit of the upper series. Now to me the only reason that anyone should do this is so that the circuit can be followed by a group, possibly unsupervised. Me and Chris did wonder in there's a cowboy taking groups there, sitting at the top of the climb down with a lifeline and telling the group to follow the arrows.

pwhole

Time you build permanent camp by the entrance I reckon, and set a quiz for the visitors.

"Answer me these questions three..."

It's either that or a badger-cam and remote-control crossbow.

AR

There's some appeared in Wapping as well.... :thumbsdown: At some point in the near future I'll organise a scrubbing party.