Long Shot wanted: 5kg cast iron weight plates

JoshW

In an attempt to use Lockdown 2 to right the cake eating wrongs of Lockdown 1 I'm in the market for 4 5kg cast iron weight plates. (with a 1 inch hole)

Lots of others appear to have had the same idea, and so shops are sold out and eBay are selling 30 quids worth of weights for nearly 3 figures.. sod that.

Does anyone have a set laying about that they'd be willing to sell?

Cheers,
Josh

pwhole

One of our club members was trying to sell some small lifting weights a month or so ago, if that's what you meant? I can ask? Alternatively, use Blue Band margarine in cakes for a lighter sponge...;)

JoshW

PeteHall said:
Buy a few 5 litre bottles of water?

I?ve got a set of dumbbells that I can load up to 10kg each, but being able to add up to another 10kg to each would add a lot of flexibility.

pwhole said:
One of our club members was trying to sell some small lifting weights a month or so ago, if that's what you meant? I can ask? Alternatively, use Blue Band margarine in cakes for a lighter sponge...;)

Oh that would be awesome if you could pass ask!

Chocolate fireguard

I have some York weights. Over the last several decades I think I have only lifted them when moving house.
A 5 ft bar (solid, 6kg on its own!).
2*15 inch hollow bars.
4*1.25kg plates.
4*2.5kg plates.
2*5kg plates.
4* those springy things that go on the bars to stop the weights sliding off the ends.
The bars are 1 inch diameter, the plates have 1 inch holes.

If you want some or all of these PM me and we can come up with a sensible price, cheque to DCRO.
I am in Sheffield.

JoshW

So chocolate fireguard has fulfilled half the request. Anyone got 2 5kg cast iron weight plates hanging about that they want rid of?

JoshW

Ah cheers for checking pwhole.

Anyone else got some weights hiding away somewhere?

pwhole

I've got a 50mm-thick slice of steel rod, 210mm diameter, that I'd really like to get rid of? It weighs 12kg exactly. Also in Sheffield! ;)

JoshW

pwhole said:
I've got a 50mm-thick slice of steel rod, 210mm diameter, that I'd really like to get rid of? It weighs 12kg exactly. Also in Sheffield! ;)

I wonder if you could bore out an inch diameter hole in the middle of that, slice it in half and end up with 2x5kg ish weights  :-\

I've got 2x 5kg flat weights sitting in my shed doing nothing-you can have them for free. I have tried to PM you but not too sure whether you received it?

Also as a bit of another long shot has anybody got 2x short inflators for a diving dry suit and wing 6-9 inches long? To buy new they are about ?30 each.

Thanks Adrian

pwhole

JoshW said:
I wonder if you could bore out an inch diameter hole in the middle of that, slice it in half and end up with 2x5kg ish weights  :-\

I'm sure one could do all of that, but not me. You would need a really big machine shop saw and a lot of coolant. Probably easier to try and find another piece and make some big boy weights instead. Sigh - I'll just have to start pressing more flowers ;)

PeteHall

adrian paniwnyk said:
Also as a bit of another long shot has anybody got 2x short inflators for a diving dry suit and wing 6-9 inches long? To buy new they are about ?30 each.

Thanks Adrian

When I get around to it, I'm planning to pop down to local pressure hose company to get a regulator hose remade using the old ends. From previous conversations in there, it should be a lot cheaper than buying a new one. If you've got some normal length/ perished inflator hoses to sacrifice, I can see about getting the ends put onto a short hose?

I'll try phoning them for a price tomorrow, but I suspect it will end up a back hander over the trade counter...

JoshW

adrian paniwnyk said:
I've got 2x 5kg flat weights sitting in my shed doing nothing-you can have them for free. I have tried to PM you but not too sure whether you received it?

No PM received, I?ve sent you one now though