Owl Hole - shifted block on the way into Cascade Chamber

not_a_climber

A group of SUSS including myself visited Owl Hole last night. We aimed to get into Cascade Chamber via the scaffolded choke dug by the Orpheus. After climbing down around 6m to the start of an insitu handline, a tight gap that I couldn't fit my hips through seemed to be the way on. It appears that a block on the right (when sitting with you legs in the hole) may have shifted judging from marks on the block and the wall behind it, and signs on the decaying wooden beam across the top of the block, far from the beam itself.

None of our group have even been in before so can't say for certain that it is has shifted (I might just have a big arse). I've notified DCA but worth baring in mind if you're planning a trip down that way.

Instead we went up into the Crystal Pallas extensions which were very nice - trip report here: http://www.shefcavers.org.uk/2019/03/14/owl-hole/

alastairgott

Anyone on here been to Owl hole before and want to take a look. My plans for this weekend have gone skewiff, so looking for a drier trip. I've never done Owl hole before.

Saturday or Sunday, don't mind. alastairgott [at] Hotmail.com

AlexR

Shame you stopped in Crystal Pallas, there is some entertaining downward wriggling following a hole at the back right wall, leads to a lovely little flow stone/ crystal pool chamber :) Last time I went I forgot an adjustable spanner, luckily a Stop worked well  ::)