it's Radon season in't Peak - mountaineering this summer?

JB

Anyone of a nervous disposition may find this upsetting. I'm going to talk about mountaineering!

I'm doing a Mountaineering Instructor Award assessment this summer and need people to climb with in N. Wales and the Peak from now until mid-July. The kind of things I need to do are:

Climb lots of multi-pitch routes in N. Wales and on Peak limestone (see...limestone!). If you've climbed/caved a bit you'll be able to second this kind of thing and I could do a bit of coaching along the way.

Big scrambling days in N. Wales (bit of light training for Dowbergill passage)

Teach people to lead climbs. N. Wales or Peak. (apparently Bentham's traverse of the roof of Oxlow's West chamber still awaits a second ascent!)

Problem-solving/rescue stuff. N. Wales or Peak. (Good opportunity for you gnarly SRT-merchants to make fun of climber's lightweight rope techniques "Italian Hitch belaying and prussik loops. How quaint")

I can supply all kit. All I ask is you bring a sense of humour and you can't really wear wellies.

Send me a PM if interested.

Jules.

bubba

Administrator
N Wales is easier and faster to get to from the Peak.

Scrambling is great fun....just beware of some of the horrors that lie within Steve Ashton's book, which has been nicknamed "Helicopter Rescues in Snowdonia".

JB

I do like all those places (esp. the Lakes and Cornwall) but I'm keen increase the time on crag:time in car ratio and like Bubba says, N. Wales more convenient.

Also, I'll be assessed in N. Wales so by spending time there I reduce the chances of being asked to lead someone up a route that I am unable to find on a crag whose name I'm unable to pronounce.

Re: Ashton. Yes, his book certainly covers a wide selection of different types of route. :shock: Problem is that scrambling is seen as a good activity for wet days. If you gave me the choice of Idwal Slabs or 'Nor Nor Buttress Variation (3S)' on a bad day I'd be up Faith, Hope AND Charity before you got me to the heather terrace.

Jules.

SamT

Im back at the moment so would be up for some evening multi pitch stuff - sirplum, anything on stoney. Chee Tor. (only limestone multi pitch stuff that springs to mind).

And a second ascent of Bens thing in Oxlow sounds like fun (I think).

Got 3 whole weeks till Im in alaska - the last of those weeks - Im on evening shift so could get out for the morning.

Give us a bell.

JB

Hi Sam,

Welcome back and all that; sure you had a blast. Some old-school trad limestone sounds good. I'll give you a ring re. getting out.

Was going to get in touch this week re. coming to the next Eldon meet. Is the next one Thursday 2nd June? If so, I'm driving back from Skye on the Thursday morning but will try to make it.

Maskhill - Oxlow exchange this evening. You got any good advice? (it's too late for "don't get the job of de-rigging Maskhill" cos I've already been done like a kipper on that one.)

Speak soon,
JB