wrong sport?

D

darkplaces

heheh good on em. Too many BORING people just breeding.
I think the Queen should be present to take the salute.

The most impressive thing "Back from a tour of duty in Iraq" On so they arnt getting the thrills from being in a war torn country they have to do this!

Risk is good! People should do more risky things... :)

Rob

Like rig off one bolt?

This is what i keep on telling people but nobody listens!

bubba

Administrator
I hate this sort of "craaaaaazy" media pandering crap.

Three course meal? Toast the queen? Pretentious bollocks imho.

JB

It's an irritating mix of public school humour and "adventurers" with too much time on their hands. I went to Durham uni where you couldn't get a sandwich in the student union without some Rupert interrupting you to toast some minor royal.

Who's paying for this little piece of "adventure"?? How much rope and bang could you buy with the same amount of money??

As a side note - "Bear Grylls, 30, who in 1997 became the youngest man to climb Everest, said: "All the cutlery and plates will be held down by Velcro so there's no chance of things falling off the table. " - I thought someone younger had recently climbed Everest.

CN.

newcastlecaver

i've got too much time obviously but the BBC are annoying me this week with crap articles; like this which begins:

"While no corner of earth remains uncharted"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4534871.stm

G

George North

Aaarghh!

Bear Grylls has never been the youngest person to climb Everest. It was climbed by people younger than him in the fifties. He may have been the youngest BRITISH man to summit - I don't know. At the moment the record is held by a 15 year old sherpa girl.

The fact that they're described as 'explorers' also really pisses me off. Being guided up Everest, or jumping out of a balloon is no more exploration than when I pop down to quicksave to buy a can of beans.

>/Rant

Katie

He is the youngest British man to climb Everest but at 23 no where near the youngest ever

Fred

I think Bear is the youngest Briton to successfully climb Everest and return alive. There was a younger Briton, Michael Matthews aged 22, who successfully summited but died on the way down

bubba

Administrator
cap 'n chris said:
Apparently, climbing Everest is widely considered to be "too easy" nowadays.

There's plenty of scope for hard ways up Everest - I think the main problem is that it's become a commercial circus.

If you've got some basic mountaineering skills, are pretty fit, and (most importantly) have the 25 grand (or whatever) required, then there are organisations that will take you to the top by the easiest route. Then you can go round telling everyone what a mountaineering hero you are even if you were actually hauled to the top by your guides and sherpas.

Personally, I think that mess that is base camp, the bodies all over the mountain and the "must summit at all costs because I'm paying a lot of money" attitude suck big style and result in needless deaths.

T

twllddu

<rant>

In a former life I had to endure the aforementioned individual giving an "inspirational and motivational" after dinner talk just after he'd got back from the hill.

God it was tedious, I don't recall a single sentence not starting with how wonderful he thought himself.

</rant>

Personally, I think that mess that is base camp, the bodies all over the mountain and the "must summit at all costs because I'm paying a lot of money" attitude suck big style and result in needless deaths.

Yup... the book written by Jon Krakauer is a testament to that!!

CN.

mudmonkey

Into Thin Air is indeed an excellent book, a post-mortem of a tragedy that was becoming inevitable - and will probably happen again - with the big-dollar approaches to big hills.

On the other hand - the caving alternative...."Berger Adventures - we've seen more bottoms than most". Station a couple of rustic-looking French peasants at the head of every pitch with a winch, install fairy lights, hire teenagers to carry your bags. My fortune is made! Now, where did I put those small-business grant forms?

Katie

Well Bear Grylls may have been the youngest briton to climb everest but not any more
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4611389.stm
Although again the BBC seem to have conviently forgotten all the pre twenties shepas who have climbed the mountain :evil:

Stupot

Fair play to the guy, i just hope he makes it down in one piece, it seems that a far too many climbers perish on the decent :(

Stu.