Lol

Mark

Do you find it irritating when people write Lol (laugh out loud) when posting
I do, its like the canned laughter on crappy TV comedies, does nothing to enhance the content

"stop it" :lool:

D

darkplaces

Whats wrong with LOL. The problem with forums is that sometimes the wrong context can be taken, sometimes a post ment as a joke sounds threating and aggressive. The LOL is an contextual way of indicating mood and post context and should be used as such.

So I bloody hell wont stop it! :evil:
lol :wink:

dunc

The problem with forums is that sometimes the wrong context can be taken, sometimes a post ment as a joke sounds threating and aggressive. The LOL is an contextual way of indicating mood and post context and should be used as such.
Very true, and if used in such a manner it is ok, but... There is a trend of over using LOL and other such acronyms to the point that people do get bored and p'd off with them.. lol (oops sorry! :wink: )

dunc

Oh ye, forgot to add, that in forums (such as this) there is usually a whole pile of emoticons that can be used instead of such acronyms that can show the context of any posts made.. :D 8)
But again they can be omitted just like lol's and the like! :roll:

hrock

well i just did a search 4 LOL and there are 248 sorry 249 now post with LOL in i dont no if this incleds the lol's or just the LOL's but i dont like to much of it

(just liek punctuation and spelling, no need)

T

tiggs

oh stupot if only it DID mean Lots of Love...:heart:
As far as I can see there aint enough love and laughter in the world as it is.

I use lol pretty much instead of putting loads of exclamation marks... how else are we supposed to decide whether someone is saying something in good humour or being sarky? If you were here you could probably tell whether I was joking or not but as youre not, you need written clues, like lol or wink, or lots of exclamation marks to tell you that I am joking! :hidesofa:

bubba

Administrator
I prefer using emoticons to acronyms, though I do use things like WTF, IMHO and IIRC.

LOL = :LOL:

I find them useful to help clarify the mood of postings. I've seen huge flame-wars start on forums because somebody didn't realise the other poster was just joking.

D

darkplaces

Emoticons can be added without using the smiles box. It would mean people need to change a habit of just going lol and replace it with : lol : which makes :LOL: (remove the spaces).

I shall try myself to do : lol : but I like many others brought up on IRC when it didnt have smiles and it was all just text.

IRC = Internet Relay Chat - Used to be a text only basic chat system.

Bubba - Have you got the smilies page showing the shortcut key commands for different smilies user accessable?

pisshead

i agree, smilies are better - not having been on many forums, i find myself having to stop at an acronym and work out what it means, which ruins the flow of the sentance...lol is alright but if i don't know what it means it's really annoying :(

D

Dave H

pisshead said:
...lol is alright but if i don't know what it means it's really annoying :(

The last time this subject was discused on this forum, a site was mentioned which should have helped us decypher peoples abreviations. Whilst it contained many wierd and wonderfull acronyms, it didn't include half that were in peoples posts! :x

Whilst I have been working in the Internet industry since before it was the Internet, :eek:ldgit: I never got into IRC as I could never work out what people were on about when they constructed whole posts using acronyms, and there wasn't a dictionary available. It appear that the situation has not improved.

Could I ask people to kindly desist from using some of the less common abreviations unless they are going to provide a link to a complete dictionary of the terms.
To put it more bluntly: this forum should be open to all - stop being IRC elitists !