Keeping cave fit in lockdown

Alex

I don't know if anyone has already posted it, but as the normal proverb of the only way to stay cave fit is by caving is not possible, what is the best way to stay cave fit?

Running and cycling is allowed outside, but aerobic exercise is not normally a major component of cave fitness, its normally more of an endurance sport. Assuming there is no means to set up a rigging course in your house, what can we do?

I have been filling a tackle bag full of weights, pushing it round my furniture, doing press ups with it on my back, and looking at muscle endurance exercises in my copy of the Super Alpinist (which is designed for climbers though).

What is everyone else doing, or recommend. I want to be able to be pretty much at my normal fitness level whenever we are next allowed to go caving. Though I am aware it will just piss it down, when we are allowed out.

Ceiriog Chris

I have been filling a tackle bag full of weights, pushing it round my furniture, doing press ups with it on my back, and looking at muscle endurance exercises in my copy of the Super Alpinist (which is designed for climbers though).

Crikey , sounds exhausting !

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
If you use your car as a tack room/horse feed store it takes bloody ages to valet it - knackered when I'd finished, looks great though  ;)

andrewmcleod

Alex said:
Running and cycling is allowed outside, but aerobic exercise is not normally a major component of cave fitness, its normally more of an endurance sport.

Won't hurt though... fit is fit, to a rough approximation

topcat

Yesterday I tackled two wind blown trees that had dropped into my burn, causing a flood inducing dam.

The burn is now clear and I have a huge stack of wood to saw and chop up, and this morning I feel as though I'd done a couple of hard caves back to back!

I really don't have the self discipline to do training and exercise and admire those who do.  However, hard, constructive, work seems to do the job to a certain degree.  It is never going to be as effective as the scientific, targeted approach though, but does have the merit of getting jobs done.

Next on the list is some conservation work in the tree windbreak, removing spent stakes and plastic protection tubes, of which there are hundreds.  And then reusing them on sapplings in the paddock.

At this rate I'll have a suntan before this lock down lifts :) but I expect to be knackered when it comes to caving again.