Helmet Lamps

Think I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade my lamp. Currently have a duo which is good but just not enough even with an upgrade. Was diving the other day with a couple of el speleo wearers and one guy with a Phaethon and it was noticeable how much more light they have.

So with diving in mind, and a ?400 quid budget what would you pick? I'm probably more interested in reliability and use ability than pure lumens. I've already got a hand held light for foreign caving diving trips.

I'm taken by the Ruse Nora but it kinda bothers me that they won't give it a rating as I don't want to have to keep replacing the innards when it floods.

Cheers
Matt

Steve Robinson

I'd have bought a Scurion dive (???) but have a wife, 2 kids and a rebreather habit to feed so went with the Elspelio Rescue you saw me and John using on Sunday. They're rated deeper than the standard version as the switches have been upgraded to pietzo. These are a bit faffy in gloves but not too bad. Mine cost me ?331 and I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm pretty sure Rude Noras are OK to a reasonable depth and I know some NS members use them. All depends how deep you're planning on taking it?

I reckon 50m will see me good for the rest of my career!

Thing is a dive scurion is like, what, 650? I know they are very good - been blinded by my regular buddies on several occasions buts another 250 squid. That's fuel and ferry for a cave diving trip to France!

royfellows

Paste in from El Speleo website, its is not a dive light. Dive Scurrion is. Have not checked out the other lamp you mention.

Is the light waterproof?
Yes.  The light and battery are waterproof to at least several meters.  The connector on the cable between them is rated to 1 meter.  That means the head lamp is waterproof, 100% splashproof, 100% dustproof.  This is not a dive light, but you have nothing to worry about with plunge pools or other normal caving activities.  If you are creative, you may even be able to depth-proof the connector.

Addin
I like facts. Cannot ascertain an exact measurement in either Imperial or Metric as defined by "several"

Benfool

Matt, spend the extra ?250 and get a scurion. You get a light which is designed for diving, which is indervidually tested down to -150m, with sales and support in the UK.  Scurion has been around for around 10 years now, so you can be pretty confident they'll be around for a lot longer, so if something goes wrong you'll have support. Can the same be said about some of the copies?

I know it's expensive, but it's well worth it and you won't be dissapointed. This is a light that could well last you 10 years or more.

But then again I might be biased!

PeteHall

royfellows said:
I like facts. Cannot ascertain an exact measurement in either Imperial or Metric as defined by "several"

(y)

The way I read it Roy, the only bit of the El Speleo that is rated is the connector, which is only good to 1m and for how long?

If I was spending proper money, I would want to be sure I wasn't going to regret it, but a Scurion is bloody expensive. I've bought cars for half that price which lasted me for years!

I would have thought (and I've been thinking about the same thing recently) that you're better off with an array of diving torches. You can get some pretty decent lights that are properly rated for not a lot of cash, so you'd be well set up for well under your ?400 budget.

royfellows

The other thing about El Speleo is that from what i can see they have moved to the USA, and we all know about US postal charges, it end up costing as much as the dive Scurrion!
:eek:

Tommy

If budget is that much of a constraint then going the route of multiple rated dive lights instead of one unrated light seems like it offers better peace of mind and redundancy.

Disclaimer: I'm not a diver...

Leclused

The Phaeton is also dive rated

http://www.phaethoncavinglight.com/phaethon.html

And a bit lower in price then the scurion.

I' m not using a Phaeton nor a Scurion. Still very happy with my Stenlight. Hower when caving wiht scurions/rude nora/stoots  users i'm noticing the difference. But what the heck my lamp is already a least 8 years old and still running fine.

David Rose

I've been using an El Speleo for a couple of years - for caving, not cave diving. It casts a very bright, reliable light and the battery life is good - if used on the second brightest flood setting with the spot only turned on occasionally, as when caving abroad, around 24 hours. Using both the spot and flood on the second brightest setting, which really is quite bright, around 12 hours. I do carry a spare battery but I've never used it in the UK. The switches are superb. The model I have is let down by the Velcro strap that holds the battery in place - it sometimes comes undone. Also I am not totally happy with the connector between the battery and the lamp. However, it only cost me ?200.

royfellows

I had a peek at available lamps a day or so ago and unless there is another supplier David, your ?200 is now wistful thinking, as I said they appear to have moved to the US.

Its a shame if I am right as I considered them best buy, if I take my own out of the equation.

David Rose

Yes - I got mine at Bernie's. In fact I got the last one the old shop had in stock, with three batteries. (On was included.) Roy, if I was buying a lamp now, I would go one of yours, I am fairly sure.

And

I'm really happy with my El Speleo Rescue 2200, and if I had to make a choice tomorrow I'd still buy one.

It says on they website that "The lamp kit is not rated for deep diving but is full submersible to -50m rating IP69k"

I got one for 250 Euro a year and a half ago, which worked out at about ?225 including international bank transfer fees. It'll be more now with the exchange rate obviously. Note the correct website for the manufacturer above. I think Roy has been confusing it with the American importer's website in his posts above.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
December competition will be for a ......................

Scurion!!

So don't buy a light just yet - enter the comp in December and you may very well win  ;)

wl