Worthwhile short trips close to more popular trips

scurve

I've recently been on some excellent short trips that are close to bigger, more popular ones and make very good extensions to the day. Being an altruistic type I thought I'd share some here and would be beside myself with joy if others could add to this list.

Turbary Pot. Very close to Swinsto and can be rigged with two 25m ropes, or the two 30m ropes most people would have for the Swinsto pull through. An impressive pothole.

Darnbrook Pot. Quite close to Robinson's Pot and Cherry Tree Hole. Once down the entrance, follow a fantastic streamway down several cascades.

Haytime Hole. Very close to Sell Gill Holes and involves a series of interesting climbs, followed by a meandering section.

November Hole. From just inside Upper Long Churn, a couple of easy ducks, then a chimney climb, then some tortuous sideways crawling. 

chunky

There is a host of information for smaller trips around the larger systems in south Wales at www.ogof.org.uk

I've been lucky enough to visit most of them on the site and have been gob smacked that many are hardly visited.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

tamarmole

scurve said:
I've recently been on some excellent short trips that are close to bigger, more popular ones and make very good extensions to the day. Being an altruistic type I thought I'd share some here and would be beside myself with joy if others could add to this list.

Turbary Pot. Very close to Swinsto and can be rigged with two 25m ropes, or the two 30m ropes most people would have for the Swinsto pull through. An impressive pothole.

Darnbrook Pot. Quite close to Robinson's Pot and Cherry Tree Hole. Once down the entrance, follow a fantastic streamway down several cascades.

Haytime Hole. Very close to Sell Gill Holes and involves a series of interesting climbs, followed by a meandering section.

November Hole. From just inside Upper Long Churn, a couple of easy ducks, then a chimney climb, then some tortuous sideways crawling.

I would certainly second Darnbrook Pot - it is also worth checking out upstream.

scurve

topcat said:
Do you need hangers for Turbay Pot?

Turbary Pot has a short crawl to a 16m pitch, which is followed immediately by a 13m pitch.
There are about 4 bolts at the top of the first pitch, then a backed-up Y-hang on the ledge 16m down, followed by a single-bolt rebelay 2m below that.
All had in situ hangers when I was there last. The rigging is a bit strange at the top; I think bolts have been deliberately placed to make a pull through seem very difficult, in case anyone confuses it with Swinsto or Simpson again.

Alex

Still not done that one, should have done it when I did Swinsto and Simpsons.

Inferus

scurve said:
A fun and more challenging option! Most people probably know of Borrins Moor Cave which makes a nice through trip or two, it's worth breaking off up Hydrophobia Inlet for added interest.
Slightly further south is Gillgarth Cave - a fun and varied, albeit short, through trip, as long as you don't mind a little bit of water.

Inferus

scurve said:
I'd like to add Pegleg Pot, in Easegill, to this list.
If it's too wet for Pegleg then there's that place loads of people walk past enroute to Lancaster Hole etc and probably not bother with: Gale Garth Pot. An interesting jaunt with a possible short alternative loop back via a climbable pitch and short squeeze (if memory serves me right).

Alex

I have a feeling Galegarth may need some moss exscurvation. The entrance has all but grown over.

scurve

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I'd like to add Jockey Hole to the list.
An excellent short trip down a big pitch, easily visited when up on the Allotment for other caves, such as Rift Pot and Long Kin East.