BCA legal officer - Linda Wilson? Really?

NewStuff

I have acquired some information that seems to present a rather disturbing proposition. To put Linda Wilson, long time opponent of CRoW, into the position of Legal Officer for the BCA.

Now, if I remember correctly from threads on here, this is the same retired solicitor that sat in opposition to the BCA when the showcaves got their knickers in a twist over nothing, and made public her, decidedly different, opinion shortly after Dinah Rose QC gave her legal opinion.

Given the total silence on this matter, despite the appointment being set for the 6th of this month, it looks very much like an end-run on CRoW, despite an overwhelming vote in favour of it. There is a clear conflict of interest here. If this goes ahead, I suggest that all confidence in the BCA acting as members voted for, will be eroded.

Now, if I'm wrong with regard to any aspect of this, I'm happy to be corrected by a BCA officer.

Graigwen

I am sure the word "Draenen" should appear somewhere in this thread.

I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

cavemanmike

droid said:
'ere we go, 'ere we go 'ere we go.

Giz a share of that popcorn Mike..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm actually a bit disappointed 😞 at how slow this thread is taking off  :cry: :cry:
Might have to put my popcorn away for the time being

royfellows

NewStuff said:
Now, if I'm wrong with regard to any aspect of this, I'm happy to be corrected by a BCA officer.

I think it a good idea to wait until this is positively confirmed or otherwise.
Those with opinions hopefully feel this way, which could explain things.
In any event, the popcorn could be wasted money as discussions on these forums now tend to be conducted in a reasonably polite manner, indeed the way that NewStuff has made his posting.

Madness

I personally believe that the CRoW act should, or indeed does apply to caving.

However, I don't necessarily agree that someone who is opposed to CRoW (applying to caving) would not be able to do the job of Legal Officer effectively. I don't necessarily agree with everything I'm asked to do at work, and I don't agree with all the higher level management's views and opinions, but it doesn't stop me acting professionally and following company policy.

If Linda Wilson is to be the new Legal Officer, then we should give her the 'benefit of the doubt', and let her prove herself. It's down to the BCA Committee members collectively to make sure any of it's officers are doing what they should and are following BCA policy.

royfellows

Madness said:

However, I don't necessarily agree that someone who is opposed to CRoW (applying to caving) would not be able to do the job of Legal Officer effectively. I don't necessarily agree with everything I'm asked to do at work, and I don't agree with all the higher level management's views and opinions, but it doesn't stop me acting professionally and following company policy.

If Linda Wilson is to be the new Legal Officer, then we should give her the 'benefit of the doubt', and let her prove herself. It's down to the BCA Committee members collectively to make sure any of it's officers are doing what they should and are following BCA policy.

Notwithstanding my comment above, (previous post) wise words.
I can state quite categorically that if I were approached for opinion as Legal and Ins Officer of CCC, then opinion will be given completely without any bias. At times one has to wear the 'neutral, hat.

I think you all know me anyway, if you dont by now you never will.
:LOL:

JohnS

How do officers on the BCA receive their appointments?

Are they voted for by the membership or do the existing officers draft them?

John

Les W

JohnS said:
How do officers on the BCA receive their appointments?

Are they voted for by the membership or do the existing officers draft them?

John

Like most organisations the Officers are elected to serve a term (3 years) by the membership at the AGM and casual vacancies are filled by Council until the end of the term for that officer

http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=about:documents:bca_constitution

Sections 6.1 & 6.5

Pitlamp

Madness said:

The above certainly makes sense to me.

Could I just suggest that, rather than being sceptical, we might give Linda a pat on the back for stepping up to the plate to fill a post as a volunteer?

Ian Ball

Pitlamp said:

Could I just suggest that, rather than being sceptical, we might give Linda a pat on the back for stepping up to the plate to fill a post as a volunteer?
[/quote]

(y)

zomjon

I definitely don't agree with Newstuff's reference to a 'clear conflict of interest'. Whilst I whole heartedly didn't agree with Brexit, it is happening, whether I like it or not, and so I accept that I need to prepare for it in the best way I can. The BCA is not just here for CRoW. Good luck Linda and think you for stepping forward to work for us all.

The Old Ruminator

Some sensible reasoning for once. Good luck in your new post Linda and take no notice of your critics. ( Which I am sure you wont. )

Madness

JohnMCooper said:
take no notice of your critics. ( Which I am sure you wont. )

This is just the sort of comment to support NewStuff's views!

I'm sure that any BCA officer would be happy to 'take on board' any possitive criticism. It's the unwarranted negative criticism that needs to be ignored. That's always easier said than done.

The Old Ruminator

Madness said:
JohnMCooper said:
take no notice of your critics. ( Which I am sure you wont. )

This is just the sort of comment to support NewStuff's views!

I'm sure that any BCA officer would be happy to 'take on board' any possitive criticism. It's the unwarranted negative criticism that needs to be ignored. That's always easier said than done.

Clearly what I meant in relation to the opening gist of the thread. Why are cavers so ruddy picky ? o_O

BradW

I have to say what a good set of reasonable and balanced replies. There are some sensible people in the world. There is hope yet.