Cumberland cavern parking

amozzer

Not been to Cumberland cavern Matlock bath for a couple of years, Anyone know if it's still OK to park on the area following the road round to the right of the New Bath hotel
Many thanks

markpot

Cavers are avoiding parking there.New bath hotel have private parking signs up at the moment.There is limited free parking on clifton road,or the pay and display below Gullivers.Check the DCA access database.Cumberland entrance is currently closed.Access is via Wapping entrance.Pete knight will know the exact position re New Bath parking.

AR

A friend of mine asked at the hotel recently about parking and was told no, so unfortunately still needs to be avoided unless DCA have an update on the situation?

Pete K

Ah, this one again!
So, DCA have heard from a few cavers over the last couple of months with varying experiences. I think Nige Atkins popped in for a chat and all was well with parking there as it was in the past, but there have been reports of a couple of issues more recently when cavers went in to ask permission. Mind you, I know a team who went last week with no issues at all. DCA would probably officially suggest you make alternative parking plans in the absence of a clear, repeated permission.

Personally speaking, I've not had any problems ever. I park at the far end on the 'dirty' verge bit, keeping clear of the hotel windows and 'nicer' parking. I've not had any problems, but have never asked for permission. Never been covert though, so it can't be that bad. Crack on, say sorry if accosted and let me/DCA know if you have any issues.

DCA

Parking at the New Bath Hotel is allowed for cavers.

At the moment, please pop into the hotel and let them know who you are and how long you intend to be parked there. Please park as far away from the hotel as you can, be quiet and considerate.
We will be reviewing this later in the year an may introduce a more formal permit arrangement.

Nigel Atkins
DCA Access co coordinator

tdobson

LarryFatcat said:
What's the latest on Cumberland Parking?

Here you go: https://peakdistrictcaving.info/home/the-caves/derwent-south/wapping-mine

Be aware: there's a height barrier on the car park to access the carpark mentioned. It's a pain for those with vans.

The best option is generally to shuttle people from their vans to the carpark mentioned. But you can also walk from Water Lane Cromford, but not recommended during high summer... when I did it last.

Have a great trip :)

2xw

Yeah we went not so long ago and they were more than happy for us to use the overflow. They just asked me for a phone number.

pwhole

We'll update the PDCI entry later (I'm off out!) to reflect this - cheers for the update :)

Paul Marvin

We park as far away down the bit of road we can and have asked the gardener that works there and he said it was fine . I supposed it depends how many vehicles go and how discreet people are. That was the main thing that upset the apple cart at Holme bank far to many people at one time especially dive groups  :( :(

LarryFatcat

2xw said:
Yeah we went not so long ago and they were more than happy for us to use the overflow. They just asked me for a phone number.
I called in a few days before the trip, they were really nice at the hotel reception and 19 of us parked in the car park round the back of the hotel (including vans).

JL2021

The hotel have always let me park there when going to caves / mines in the area. Just email a few days ahead of visit. They have no imposed any conditions, always been happy to help

Paul Marvin

Just looking at this as listed peak district matlock bath isn't actually in the peak district,its in the derbyshire dales  ;) 

https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/planning-your-visit/maps/pdmap

Having said that I always thought Buxton was .

mch

Paul Marvin said:
Just looking at this as listed peak district matlock bath isn't actually in the peak district,its in the derbyshire dales  ;) 

It's in the Peak District, just not in the National Park.

Paul Marvin

mch said:
Paul Marvin said:

It's in the Peak District, just not in the National Park.

The peak district is the national park, if not wheres the border for the peak district ? Thats why its called the " Peak District National Park " I live 3 miles from Matlock but I don't live in the peak district

AR

The boundary of the national park is a highly artificial construct and excludes areas that have traditionally been though of as part of the Peak District, primarily the long tongue of ground down through Buxton to Flagg Moor, and the Wirksworth/Matlock area. These were excluded purely due to the numbers of active quarries in them when the park was created, not because they weren't "in the Peak".

Paul Marvin

AR said:
The boundary of the national park is a highly artificial construct and excludes areas that have traditionally been though of as part of the Peak District, primarily the long tongue of ground down through Buxton to Flagg Moor, and the Wirksworth/Matlock area. These were excluded purely due to the numbers of active quarries in them when the park was created, not because they weren't "in the Peak".

Sounds like the same situation like Blaenau Ffestiniog being excluded from Snowdonia, I've been told by locals that was also due to quarries in the area and being in the park they would have been very restricted on how much and where they could dig big holes .