Cussey Pot, Eyam

Rob

The Eldon's lockdown project, this cave in Eyam has been a welcome change of scene from the depths of Intake Dale Mine and has provided us with some "easy" results.

Originally spotted due to the trees shaking with the massive draught firing out, a single trip opened it up and dropped us into an 80m long rift cave with plenty of draughting digs leading off. After tasting a few we settled on one and got to work. 7 trips later the results are now pouring in.

The weekly trip reports are written up on the Eldon website, and we hope to keep them as exciting as the last few have been:

CPentrance.jpg
DSC_1206.jpg

Cussey_Chamber_by_JonP.jpg

JonP_in_Walzernice_by_RobE.jpg

Fishes

Great stuff, now we have two Stemples of Doom around the village.

Any idea where this fits in with other stuff yet?

Goydenman

Great write ups...what an amazing find....deeper than I expected...as Fishes says be interesting to know how it lines up with other stuff in that area. Well done team

Rob

The name is the from rake that it is located on, which is marked on a few old maps (although with very few details about mining activity). There's no evidence of mining in any of it so far, other than at the very bottom where a few clues are starting to reveal themselves....

Rob

Mrs Trellis said:
....roughly where is it?
On Cussey Rake  ;)

But to be potentially more helpful, it's nearly above "Doom"

[We're only keeping the location quiet for now until permissions have been further progressed]

mrodoc

I wonder if the Old Ruminator has seen this. The scaffolding supports rival those in Vurley Swallet although we are trying hard with our new dig. At least we aren't the only diggers  pretending not to have a death wish!

Mrs Trellis

SamT said:
Is there an obvious industrial explanation for the intermittent nature of the draught??

Funnily enough I was pondering that too. I wonder if the outside temperature is making the difference. This "summer" we've had both unseasonably hot and unseasonably cool.

Goydenman

Rob said:
Mrs Trellis said:
....roughly where is it?
On Cussey Rake  ;)

But to be potentially more helpful, it's nearly above "Doom"

[We're only keeping the location quiet for now until permissions have been further progressed]

Nearly avove Doom...lets hope this ting goes deep

Rob

Goydenman said:
Nearly avove Doom...lets hope this ting goes deep
The bottom of Cussey is already below Doom, at the same level as the Boil-Up!

Not sure how we've managed to miss Doom so far...

Rob

Eldon were blessed with another big breakthrough in Cussey last week  :beer:
http://www.eldonpotholeclub.org.uk/homepage/current-uk-projects/cussey-pot/431-on-finding-impending-doom-02-01-2020