Harness Disposal

pwhole

I've got a few old harnesses to get rid of as they're ruined, and I was wondering if folks had any ideas about where to put them? I can obviously cut metal buckles off where necessary, but all are made from synthetic webbing, and and two have PVC or similar stitched into that, making them unsuitable for most fabric recycling that I can think of. I live in Sheffield, and we do have a monster waste incinerator here, so they wouldn't go into landfill, and the metal would be reclaimed, but before I bin them, does anyone else have any better ideas or solutions?

Wardy

Fancy them testing to see how good or bad they really are?
Could probably set that up if you are interested.
We have full testing set up, but would have to decide what sort of a demise you would prefer for them.

AR

I think you should take them down to the river Don and give them a Viking funeral, Phil! :LOL:

pwhole

Wardy said:
Fancy them testing to see how good or bad they really are?
Could probably set that up if you are interested.
We have full testing set up, but would have to decide what sort of a demise you would prefer for them.

Why not? I'm not planning to use them again and definitely not giving them away as 'spares' either, as the webbing is seriously ragged in places, and the D-ring loops are more than a little worn, but it would be good to know how paranoid one should be about these things. There's two Petzl Super Avantis and a MTDE Picos, but it would be a big parcel to post - I could always pass them to Pete K next time I see him I guess. And yes, you're welcome to give them a Viking funeral if you wish. Is that a canal across the road? :)

crickleymal

If it's got the same type of buckle as well n the photo I'd be interested in the buckle/s. Happy to pay postage.

Attachments

• 71hOM-mFt8L._AC_UY780_.jpg
    71hOM-mFt8L._AC_UY780_.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 120

Pitlamp

Carefully unpick the stitching (or slit with a Stanley knife) and offer the short sections of tape to local cave divers who may find them useful for making harnesses from. (By this I mean harnesses for underwater use, i.e. not load bearing in its usual sense.)

JAA

There is a company called dirtbags who make chalk bags from bit of scrap fabric which would otherwise be binned who might well find a use for the webbing?