Wrap around LED head band

tomferry

It reminds me of my first ever headtorch just without a centre strap and the rest is built into the band Instead of a traditional style also it looks a very compact design , I guess some one might have it as a back up torch ? Not myself though prefer my detachable head torch the  wow tac a2s for my spare torch .

Mr Mike

Brains said:
Gimmick or gadget?  :-\
If it works could be useful

Gimmick ! Its IP64 or as the Chinese are fond of writing IPX4. So if you wash it in a river I would say goodbye to it. You need IP67 to do that. Save your money and get something known.

PeteHall

Brains said:
8 hours burn time

Given that it seems to be running on a button battery, it can't be very bright to last 8 hours, or even the 3 hours it claims for full power!

ZombieCake

There doesn't seem to be an address on their website, so that's an alarm bell.  Probably just as bad as one of those useless 'wonder super mega better than everything scope' things.  Concept is interesting, but likely a low grade product.

aricooperdavis

A few things spring to mind:

- IPX4 isn't enough for me (personally) - I want IPX7 for caving headlamps as they're the first rating that stands up to immersion.
- I don't trust products that photoshop all their demo photos (for example this composite image is made up of their product photoshopped onto these three stock photos)
- It's unbranded, and only seems to be sold on the LuxLivn website which mainly sells plastic DIY crap and has no trustpilot reviews.

So it's not for me I'm afraid!

royfellows

I have said many times, your light is your singularly most important piece of kit next to your hard hat, is stuff like this really a good idea ?

PeteHall

Having clicked the link above, I have since had 2 different adverts for almost identical products come up on Facebook! It's worrying how much these tech giants know about us...

Brains

Thanks for all your thoughts, and apologies for getting extra adds!
As I suspected although the concept may have some merit, this product isnt really tough enough to be overly useful. Run time, waterproofing, scratch / impact resistance and the "gesture setting" add up to more gimmick than gadget!. I am sure we will see similar products in urbex videos soon, but not down caves and mines of a more testing nature  ;)
In years to come with better engineering etc who knows, but not for now.

Stuart France

You can buy 5 metre lengths of flexible strip white LED lights with one LED every inch with built in resistors and a 12 volt mains power supply brick that I didn't want.  I bought several at about ?15 each for my shed and other domestic projects.  OK, they are not a design masterpiece for power efficiency but they do a great job in lighting my shed from end to end and on both sides of the ridge line.  I have a line of them oudoors as well to light up the patio and it's all driven from a big 12 volt battery and solar panel.  There's no doubt that the LED strips themselves are IP68 as they encased in clear silicone encapsulant and survived outdoors in the rain for a year now.  If you want less than a 5m length then they can be cut with scissors, and random pieces can also be powered in parallel.

I've not actually tried this next idea, but I think they would be fun wrapped round and round a caving helmet to give true 360deg lighting.  Unfortunately the unit price at cpc.co.uk has gone up to ?30 now for similar LED strips.  So wait for their Christmas clearance offers.
https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/eco-5mfl-300smd-dw/led-strip-5-metre-12v-day-white/dp/LA04968?st=led%205m%20lights

Attachments

• DSC04369.JPG
    DSC04369.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 140

wormster

I recall seeing a clever LED/caplamp modification done by The Audley at Home Close one day - the clever bugger had drilled 3mm holes through the brim of his helmet and installed bare white emitters in them and wired the battery and control board in the helmet. Not the 360 wraparound as suggested, but I thought it was a neat solution to compact lighting.

Fishes

The whole concept of 360? lighting seems pointless for a worn device to me. Most of the light goes where you can't see and you dazzle those around you.

Is this just a solution (or gimmick) that doesn't seem to have any application?

terebinag

aricooperdavis said:
A few things spring to mind:

- IPX4 isn't enough for me (personally) - I want IPX7 for caving headlamps as they're the first rating that stands up to immersion.
- I don't trust products that photoshop all their demo photos (for example this composite image is made up of their product photoshopped onto these three stock photos)
- It's unbranded, and only seems to be sold on the LuxLivn website which mainly sells plastic DIY crap and has no trustpilot reviews.

So it's not for me I'm afraid!
me too