Epic by M*M*M*M*

Glenn

Rob said:
Here is a link to his main flickr website: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39324434@N00/
I believe it is in Matienzo, although i'm not sure exactly where. In the picture is Brendan Sloan from SUSS ("Brendan" on this forum).

Thanks Rob. I did follow the link but it does not say where any of the images are taken. Some of the other images of big helictites ruled out the UK! It (the "Epic" image) reminded me of something but it is the wrong way round, it's a great pitch head though.

Glenn

rsch

Rob said:
I believe it is in Matienzo, although i'm not sure exactly where.

Not quite Matienzo, but not far up the road. The cave is called Sistema del Gandara - there's a some stuff about the place on the web, though it's largely in French by the group that has been pushing it.

Les W

Hi Glenn,

It is indeed just inside the entrance of Gandara which I am informed is now a 100km system. I was just in there myself at Easter.

The photo is not of a pitch head but a traverse around a very exposed corner with a 40m ish drop. The way on is along massive passages continuing behind where the photo was taken. The entrance is just around the corner and up a massive scree slope.

Absolutly cracking cave if you should find yourself in the Cantabrian mountains.

The SWCC have spent quite a bit of time in there recently, trying to find the through trip.

Glenn

Many thanks to everyone that has replied, either here or by pm, especially rsch who took the photo. I just think that the image is so evocative of everything I like about caving, the colour of the rock, the exposure, the security of being on rope, it's a great photo.

Cheers,

Glenn

Katie

When I first looked at that picture although the person is far away i thought 'that looks like Brendan'
Pleased I am so skilled at recognising Brendan