First expedition (possibly in patagonia)

P

psykx

I'd really like to join an expedition next year (2010), preferably to somewhere remote and or exciting culturally. I've been searching on-line and asking about on caving weekends but I can't seem the relevant people to contact about trips. I'm not really sure what I'm asking I think it's 'how do I get on expeditions?' but the people I've met and cave with who've been on one went with university clubs which as I never went  to university doesn't apply to me, or they reply 'you should ask the INSERT NAME HERE about this expedition' where INSERT NAME HERE is somebody I've never heard of and pub conversation swiftly moves on.

maybe I should be asking who is leading an exciting caving expedition who would like another body to carry stuff and cave?

do people normally just go on expeditions with people they know or know of so a cavers ability isn't often called into question?

cheers for any an all information advice :D

SamT

Dachstein is a regular - Joel Corrigan is your man.

Mulu seems to be a pretty regular destination these days. http://www.mulucaves.org/expeditions.php

I know Al Agreb on this site wants to organise something to head off to Albania.

I think some folk may be off to mexico in the not too distant future too.

P

psykx

thanks samT,

I've sent an email to the mulucaves project people, the whole place seems very exciting. dachstein doesn't particularly appeal for some reason. I'd be interested to hear more about mexico and albaina.

What expeditions are going on this summer please?  :D

I am probably too late to sign up to anything too far away  :-[  and don't think I will be able to cope with the cold of Dachstein (sorry Joel)  :(

menacer

The Matienzo expeditions are very good for people starting out.
Its pretty much an open ticket to all, you make your own arrangements , turn up on the popular dates (usualy last week july 1st week aug in summer) and get on with it.
Theres a huge variety of people who go, with a huge variety of stuff to do at differing levels of ability..
If your into climbing avens you can, or diving sumps you can, or if you want to dig you can.
There will also be the opportunity to learn how to survey.

Google matienzo and join the newsletter group if interested.

mrodoc

What you do is find somewhere with limestone which has become politically stable recently and then arrange your own expedition. that's why the Russian republics have become popular. 

graham

mrodoc said:
What you do is find somewhere with limestone which has become politically stable recently and then arrange your own expedition. that's why the Russian republics have become popular.   

Not Yorkshire, then.  :(

Joel Corrigan

Judi Durber said:
and don't think I will be able to cope with the cold of Dachstein (sorry Joel)  :(

I'm not offended, as not everyone is destined to be a caving superstar, Judi!

Stick with the glam locations, because as my mate says, "any old duffer can stumble through big tourist caves in Mulu & Vietnam. Takes a real man to push hard Alpine caves!"  One of my favourite quotes, that one. Just gonna sit back and wait for the bullets to fly...... 

If I remove my tongue from my cheek for a second, though, I should point something out to Psykx that may be relevant. Up until a few years ago it was nigh on impossible to get a place on one of the big, glam, remote expeditions as it was a real old boys network (don't get offended, Old Boys: just being honest & I'm about to defend the elitism). In recent times this elitist attitude has eased off somewhat but it's still difficult to get a place. The reasons are pretty straight-forward, though. Nobody wants to take a risk of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with someone that they don't get on with or who brings little to the expedition in terms of skill or experience.  If that was the case then these expeditions would advertise in the classified ads of outdoor magazines for people to join them.  In Europe it's not generally a problem but I've been stuck in the jungles of Papua New Guinea for 2 1/2 months with a foreign cave diver who we had on suicide watch! Half the crew hated the other half & it had the makings of a Lord of the Flies remake!!!

So in general, Psykx, I'd say that within the UK it's largely a case of who you know & a little bit of what you know. There is no such thing as "contact me if you want to join the expedition".  I would suggest that it's worth biting the bullet & learn the trade closer to home or spend money & head off to Mulu National Park and join an adventure caving tour (a friend of mine did just that and had a great time).  If you haven't got a solid background in surveying, rigging, bolting, rescues etc then I think you'll struggle to get an invite.

As Menacer says, Matienzo provides a solid intro to expeditions. And I can understand why the Dachstein doesn't appeal: it's too hard for most people & the regulars have got an evil sense of humour!  Plus it's likely to be pretty full this summer (40 people) so can only accept hot chicks from now on.....! But you're welcome to get in touch if you wanna know more.

The caving expedition scene is pretty small & most of the key players know each other. If you are serious about getting involved then I'd suggest getting your ass to Hidden Earth, sitting in on lectures, working out which ones appeal & then complimenting the aging & balding speakers on their virility & prowess whilst plying them with beer. This is the age-old & well-proven method of getting an invite!

P

psykx

sounds like great advice Joel, thanks very much. I think I've overestimated my caving ability etc... time to get rigging and bolting me thinks :D Dachstein only appeals to me slightly less than the others because I have slightly less interest in seeing the country it's in, but saying it's too hard for most people, well you know how to make it seem enticing! I might well send you a mail for more info a little closer to the time.

can I ask where (in the UK) are you based?

Joel Corrigan

My pillow is my stylist, Chris, but the "aging & balding" reference should maybe have included the word "beardy" to make it clear that it was a generalisation about cavers. If I am going bald then it must be from the inside out.  In a lycanthropic-sort of way, possibly....

And Psykx, I have adopted sunny Cardiff as my abode, and you're welcome to ask as many questions as you'd like about the Dachstein, even if you're not a yummy-mummy or a tasty-teen!!!!