BCA insurance - school groups

gelliffe

I wonder if someone could help me with the following query.

As a secondary school teacher and an experienced caver I am considering doing  cave leader training with a view to bringing  some of my students caving with reduced costs.

I read the BCA insurance Q&As  and came across the following:

Q 92: Are minors (persons under the age of 18) covered by the scheme?
A: Yes, as normal members of a caving club. However, this insurance scheme is not designed to provide cover for the adult leaders of parties of children from outdoor centres, educational establishments or similar institutions.

I wonder are there any qualified cave leaders who are also school teachers or anyone else who could help me identify if BCA insurance is useful in this instance.

Cheers.

nickwilliams

Are you going to be leading trips in your role as a teacher or is this an out of school activity for which you will not be paid?

Nick Williams

BCA PL Scheme Manager

gelliffe

It would only be a max of two or three trips per year. I am happy to arrange the trips out of school time. However the issue I see is regardless of whenever I would bring the students caving it's still within my role as their teacher. It wouldn't be part of my contract and my pay wouldn't be affected as it would be a voluntary extra curricular activity.

nickwilliams

Please send me your contact details to nick dot williams at hucklow dot net and I'll take this up with the insurer for you.

Nick.

If you are employed by the school and the caving is for the school then you should be covered by their insurance, if not get them to sort it.
BCA have a deal with Perkins Slade for cave leaders/instructors.

glyders

Indeed. I am a teacher and lead caving, climbing, mountaineering, etc. trips for the school. Everything goes through the school insurance - my instructor liability, personal for both them and me.

gelliffe

Outdoor education isn't part of mainstream education in the Republic of Ireland. I believe the systems are fairly different.

Thanks to Nick Williams who is currently helping with my query. Cheers for the other responses guys.