Do you know what this is?

Ship-badger

I was looking at a display of old tools at a steam rally recently and spotted this. The man who owned it had no idea what it is; does anyone on here?

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_145719.jpg
    IMG_20190721_145719.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 337
  • IMG_20190721_145726.jpg
    IMG_20190721_145726.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20190721_145734.jpg
    IMG_20190721_145734.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 161

Laurie

I thought I can recognise most Victorian and Edwardian devices but this one has me beaten.
Sorry.  :(

ZombieCake

Looks like it screws down to something (holes at each end on base) so is it perhaps some sort of switch or lever that has a push rod or similar (for want of a better word) that fits upright / goes parallel in one end or the other and in turn connects to something else? I'd guess maybe some latch or spring mechanism would be involved somewhere in the chain to keep it in the right position if it's a switch thing.

Fulk

It looks as though the upper part is articulated in the middle, vaguely resembling a morse-code telegraph tapper . . . but maybe a bit too bulky for that (and probably the wrong shape).

mikem

I think glyders may be right, as this is the only thing I have seen that looks anything like it (although possibly not for a bass drum):
https://reverb.com/item/14523938-rare-antique-vintage-fishtail-double-pedal-for-bass-drum-circa-1905-10

There does appear to be a leaf spring under the lever to return it to it's start position.

mikem

Same question on my local FB page today:

69388166_10216476944260269_7859044712861138944_n.jpg

if you pull the trigger it closes a set of points type contacts in side the body and it looks like you can plug two wires in to the base , it?s very heavy and made from brass and wood

Maj

mikem said:
There does appear to be a leaf spring under the lever to return it to it's start position.

I feel the spring metal plate may be more to hold rocker in place, unless the rocker has a cam/lobe such that it will return to a preferred position. I think the shape of the "handle" is less likely to be foot operated but more likely hand operated. Note the similarity to a cast spokeshave handle.

Does the crossed hole line up with the lower of the two holes in the base casting?
Perhaps when the handle of the lever is pushed either a strut/tierod would be lifted/pulled guided through the lower of the two holes and operate something else
or
perhaps pushed a push rod in the opposite direction to operate something else.

Maj.

Attachments

• Vintage tools.jpg
    Vintage tools.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 143

mudman

On woodworking forums where there are often threads such as this it seems to be that the really unusual looking tools end up as leather working tools.
My first thought is a type of shoe stretcher. Maybe specifically to stretch the toe part a bit too remove pressure from the top of the toes.
You could find out by searching the patents granted at the time of the date on the handle.

Ship-badger

I should have thought about dimensions myself. As I remember it was about 5" long, so definitely hand or finger operated. The leaf spring did not return the lever to its starting position, so I think it was to keep the lever in place.