Sandbags

Johnny

Anyone know where I can get hold of some cheap sandbags? I'm fed up of being burried in mudslides :roll:

T

twllddu

I've just bought 50 this afternoon from a local building supplies place for 26p each, I don't know if that's expensive or not but they can be a bit of a necessity at times. I had to ask at a couple of places before l tracked down this source, they are used a lot by councils and such so just ask around. These ones are synthetic and don't rot like the hessian ones, they are also a good size, easy to fill and not too heavy when full.

Found that for straight sand / small stuff a metal feed scoop as used by farmers and the like is a really good investment for filling.

As a last resort I could arrange some international frieght shipping if you can't find any in Derbyshire :).

cave junky

Just got hold of a load for an underground project, made of polyprop so don't rot. Got them free from a local agricultural merchant, previously used to hold sun flower seeds. A bit larger than the normal ones used by counsils, can be an advantage but there is no need to fill them.
Hope this helps
Ally

SamT

Hmm - I reckon Eyres in Bradda might be a good start - I'll try padgets in town as well (huge builders merch).

Hughie

I've got several hundred (possibly thousands) of plastic 25kg feed sacks if they're of any use. Unfortunately they won't drain water unless some holes are made in them.

Johnny

Thanks all.
Bog has managed to find a manufacturer of them just around the corner from his work-place, 12p polyprop, 22p hessian.

Trench warfare begins this evening!

cap n chris

I've got several hundred (possibly thousands) of plastic 25kg feed sacks if they're of any use. Unfortunately they won't drain water unless some holes are made in them.

Hughie can we have fifty for our dig? Please, please, oh, pleasitty-please?

Hughie

No problem, Chris. I'm coming your way tonight around 7.30ish, so will drop them in. If that's not convenient, let me know. Likewise, if my timing is going to be way out.

cap n chris

I'm underground then over Fairy quarry but if you can wrap them in a bundle and throw them towards my door that would be simply spiffing.

Ta, muchly, Hughie.

SamT

So - we got our polyprop sandbags from the appropriately named mudfords in sheffield and boshed in to baggers with high hopes of sorting out what can only be described as *the* most squalid dig site ever.

Our hopes where soon dashed as re realised that the polyprop sandbags dont let out any water.
It was like trying to build a wall out of water filled balloons - in the end we just gave up.

Looks like we need the hessian ones.