Aquanaut - forthcoming Rick Stanton autobiography

David Rose

A big moment: I've just sent our publisher the manuscript of the book I've spent the past year working on with Rick Stanton. Called Aquanaut, it provides by far the the most detailed and revelatory account of the rescue of the Wild Boars boys' football team from the flooded Tham Luang cave in Thailand yet written, from Rick's unique perspective as the man who both (with John Volanthen) found the boys and organised and led their rescue - an unprecedented achievement against overwhelming odds.

It also contains the extraordinary story of Rick's long caving and cave diving career, with significant explorations in systems including Notts 2, P8, Gingling Hole, Wookey Hole, Ogof Daren Cilau, the Emergence du Ressel, the Padirac - St Georges, the Source du Saint Sauveur, Pozu Cabeza Muxa, the Marche Pied, Cueva Cheve and Pozo Azul.

Also in the book are accounts of earlier rescues and recoveries, such as the diplomatic dogs breakfast that was the rescue of Jonathan Sims and others from the Alpazat cave in Mexico, and the terrifying story of Rick and John's attempt to find and recover the body of Eric Establie from the Dragonniere du Gaud. Now we'll see what our editor makes of it, and how much work there still is to do. Fingers crossed he likes it. It's due out later this year, published in the UK by Michael Joseph.

wl

tdobson

Not to jump the gun - this is a great achievement well done.

But will you let us know when pre-ordering is possible?  :)

mrodoc

What about his Irish exploits pushing Poll na Gceim and early Green Holes exploration etc etc.?

yrammy

The British Caving Library will want a copy of this 100%. Will pre-order as soon as we know we can :)

Mary

complex

Pre-orders are available already, see https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/315/315117/aquanaut/9780241421260.html

Minion

Slightly cheaper on Blackwells

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/Aquanaut-by-Rick-Stanton-author-David-Rose-author/9780241421260

yrammy

The British Caving Library have it on pre-order and I had a message today that it was delayed until June 2021
Mary