Access to Singing River Mine temporarily closed

PeteHall

Following a change in ownership and landscaping work, the entrance to Singing River Mine is now located in a private garden.

Arrangements for future access are under discussion and will be available as soon as possible.

In the meantime all visits should be avoided.

For more information, please see the CSCC website

andrewmcleod

Wasn't it always in a private garden? I remember walking past the house and over the lawn to the grilled entrance sat near the fence in a lawn... (although it was a while since I last went)

darren

I'm sure someone will be along in a while to suggest a Derbyshire key is the solution.

They use that sort of key up north and never have any problems 🤔

mrodoc

Having seen the photo I would certainly want to know who was in my garden! I think the issue is people going in in antisocial hours which really isn't on at all.

Minion

darren said:
I'm sure someone will be along in a while to suggest a Derbyshire key is the solution.

I don?t see why a Derbyshire key wouldn?t work, if a legitimate caver is going he/she will follow the correct protocols regardless of what ?key? system is in place.

Having said that, CSCC keys are less than a fiver on ebay, probably less than the cost of two spanners!

darren

Minion said:
darren said:

I don?t see why a Derbyshire key wouldn?t work, if a legitimate caver is going he/she will follow the correct protocols regardless of what ?key? system is in place.

Having said that, CSCC keys are less than a fiver on ebay, probably less than the cost of two spanners!

No no no, we all know the Derbyshire key is the answer to all access problems. Anything else is incompetent access officers or cavers just not understanding that they are the solution to all issues.

cap n chris

This is nothing whatsoever to do with keys and probably very much more to do with not upsetting the landowner. Mrs Rignall was lovely and I expect the current landowners are too but if you've got people horsing around after hours in your garden and it alerts you to hear them it's hardly surprising that it would become an irritant. If it was mine I'd build a shed over the top of it and charge a tidy sum for access. Tis a fine mine.

RobinGriffiths

Isn't there a bit of caveat emptor here if you buy a house with a mine in the garden which historically has been visited by bearded gentlemen in PVC suits at unsociable hours?

mikem

Funnily enough, that bit probably wasn't in the sale brochure... (& most people called on the elderly owner first, so tended to be more sociable hours)

The entrance was in a grassed area beyond the main garden (walked down the adjacent green lane to access it)

RobinGriffiths

Fair enough. AditNow used to have loads of enquiries by house owners, mainly in Cornwall asking for info about any mines that may lie under their house. You'd have thought their solicitor would have flagged up issues during the 'search'.

sinker

RobinGriffiths said:
Isn't there a bit of caveat emptor here if you buy a house with a mine in the garden which historically has been visited by bearded gentlemen in PVC suits at unsociable hours?

A friend of ours bought a house that came with a piece of land that turned out to be a prime dogging spot. Strangely, the vendors didn't tell him about it; when he tackled them about it later they said "Oh yes, it is a popular place for walking dogs".

Bearded gentlemen....PVC suits....unsociable hours....yes definitely 'caveat emptor'!

"Release the Gimp!"  :eek:

Elaine

RobinGriffiths said:

And middle aged ladies with slight beards.