Ogof Carno dig

H

Huw Groucutt

it just does down and down! first sign of horizontal passage last week, maybe it'll go these week!

H

Huw Groucutt

Australia i think!

It might break into a parrallel system to Ogof Carno and take us several kilometres to the South East to a large spring called Ffynnon Gisfaen, thats the plan anyway!

M

mudman

Trouble with Carno though is that nothing ever goes to plan.

M

mudman

I'm going to have to come down and have a look. I fancy a change from the relentless mud fill of BOD.

H

Huw Groucutt

IT WENT!............found about 600 metres so far, some really nice helictites and other formations. At the end you can hear a major streamway but there is one boulder in the way, one more bang next week and we're through to miles of passage measurelss to men!.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................and then i woke up! shit back to the dig again next week!

M

mudman

You actually had me going there for a while!
Anyway, found some much more pleasant places to dig yesterday. Some really good prospects as well.

H

Huw Groucutt

Its starting to look like crescent, lots of nice scaffolding and planks.

M

mudman

Possibly, the Crescent breakthrough is still very fresh in my mind after these last few years.

H

Huw Groucutt

Well the dig continues, one evening most weeks. Ever downwards. After initial easy digging, we have banged our way down a narrow (perhaps 5 ") silt filled rift for a couple of metres. This then gave way to more spacious (but still sand/clay filled) passage, causing a return of the infamous 'positive vibes', we're still headning straight down into the unknown! We can't go on down forever, the water table can't be a million miles away (i predict about another 15 metres below us, we've gone down about 10 metres). We are hopefully soon going to find the dig degenerating into crappy rifty nothingness or break through into the blackess!

P.S - Went up crescent recently barry, surprisingly nice and still open! It would have been a bit of a bitch it all the shafts had collapsed.

E

eyecave

sooner or later, all digs have to lead to the major water table in the area, you can call it simple logic, , mathmatics or geological probability.....i don't care......its a fact, keep digging, and you will get somewhere eventually........ :?:

H

Huw Groucutt

Yes....but it may be a 1 inch wide crack for several hundred metres!

PMN1

Huw Groucutt said:
P.S - Went up crescent recently barry, surprisingly nice and still open! It would have been a bit of a bitch it all the shafts had collapsed.

It WAS a bitch when all the shafts collapsed but since there were over 10 members of the club on the wrong side (icluding champion digger Roy) there were plenty of people to dig their way out.

Having said that , those that had been digging there regularly had seen far worse collapses.

PMN1

Huw Groucutt said:

It WAS a bitch when all the shafts collapsed but since there were over 10 members of the club on the wrong side (icluding champion digger Roy) there were plenty of people to dig their way out.

Having said that , those that had been digging there regularly had seen far worse collapses.