Anyone know where I can find a survey for Axe Hole?

adamgeens

My predecessor used to take kids down Axe Hole back in the day so I'm curious enough to have a look down there even though I've previously heard it described similarly to the previous post. A survey would be interesting to see.

martinb

8125667888_eea973b1eb.jpg

There you go. Somewhat out of date, but hey ho....

Ralph

Axe Hole is an excellent little novice trip but the lower part of the entrance rift can be a little intimidating for some (especially overweight teenagers). I've used it countless times over the last 50+ years and altho it can be wet at times both on the entrance pitch and the passage just beyond I've never found it "unpleasant".
It now connects with Plunge Hole but I don't recommend the thro trip for beginners (you may decide otherwise).
The entrance pitch of Plunge Hole makes an excellent introduction to ladder and line.
There are still a few formations you need to be aware of (wit kids) and a rope is useful on the entrance pitch and on a few of the climbs -depending on the ability of the group.

nigel n

I've been down both Plunge and Axe a few times but have never managed to get physically from one to the other.  Where exactly is the connection?

webby

good to read about axe hole i started caving at 14 and used to get train from manchester to buxton in the late 60s and walk up to stanley moor and explore all caves in the area, am now 58 so seems along time ago, i,m not surprised axe is connected now with plunge can only be yards apart, what about perceverence pot is this a possible connection, and i remember stanley moor cave which had a a gate on and a small decorated chamber!!

WendysBrother

nigel n said:
I've been down both Plunge and Axe a few times but have never managed to get physically from one to the other.  Where exactly is the connection?

Turn right at entrance rift to squeeze into a small sandy crawl for 60' and tight connection to Plunge Hole.

Ralph

I don't recall this being the route to "the connection"

Contact me on RJohnCave at aol dot com if interested.

Ralph

i started caving at 14 and used to get train from manchester to buxton in the late 60s and walk up to stanley moor and explore all caves in the area, am now 58 so seems along time ago,

I can beat that! It was my first trip into a "real" cave in 1957, I'd been in Alderley Edge West Mine prior to that. Two of us caught the 'bus from Crewe then camped on the opposite side of the road below Solomon's Temple.
A local farmer pointed out the entrance-we were aghast, nothing like we expected (it was a lot smaller prior it being enlarged on a rescue)but we had an exciting day down there and in Plunge Hole. The stal was more plentiful in those days and "somewhere" I have a colour slide of a stalagmite we christened the "bleeding finger".

Happy days.

Tim H

I can explain a bit more of the Axe hole/ Plunge hole situation as it was myself and Kev Hoy who dug the connection back in the 90's. We did quite a bit of exploring on Stanley moor over a few years then and my only regret is that we left things unfinished.

Firstly, the survey is very basic and not complete or accurate. I always assumed it was made as an aid to group caving from White Hall rather than as a detailed survey. The description in COPD is also innaccurate.( I should apologize to John Beck here as I intended to update both for the recent version of COPD but never got it done, -sorry). There is a full stop between"sandy crawl for 60 ft" and "Tight connection with Plunge hole". The "sandy" (muddy!) crawl goes in completely the wrong direction for a link to Plunge hole. It just reads as if that's where the link is.

Kev and I never found any existing link. The closest we thought was a very tight rift which most people miss which is from halfway down the entrance pitch in Plunge hole, back under the entrance and past the stream. this leads to a small chamber in a bouldery area which might be part of the same bouldery breakdown as the main chamber in Axe hole, but we couldn't see any way through or even make a voice connection.

The connection is definitely not for beginners, and is not going to be easy for anyone these days. From the chamber in Plunge hole you drop down the twin holes where the stream goes and follow it down a body size passage. We managed this by diverting the stream down the entrance rift rather than the twin holes but the stream has altered and comes in via a small sump and it would be very hard to divert it away now. I wouldn't really want to crawl down that passage with a stream backing up behind me!

After just 30ft you get (if you can get into it, we had to dig out the bed of the stream and it was very tight when dry) to the bottom of a small shaft, Feet first chamber. the stream sumps and when we got into it the shaft was capped. We did a survey loop and found that we were under the edge of the large chamber in Axe hole and a relatively short dig uncovered the shaft. The top of the shaft was capped with a big round rock as if it had been deliberately placed to hide the shaft. You can't miss it if you are in Axe hole main chamber with the noise of the stream. If you want to try and do the connection then you must have a look from Axe hole side and see if you think you could get through first. It may be a tiny insignificant cave but there is a serious risk of getting stuck in that link.

In spite of the derogatory opinions expressed by some about these caves, they are interesting and enjoyable in their own way. A couple of hours would be enough to see all of Axe, Plunge and Perseverance pot. Sadly, I believe Stanley Moor cave was "landscaped" a few years back and is no longer accessible. If I am wrong about that please let me know.

Tim

nigel n

Hi Tim
I agree with your comments about the connection.  A couple of years ago I dug out the beginning during a dry spell to a slight enlargement but was unwilling to proceed further without digging/capping.  I doubt whether anyone has been through for a good while.  I also agree that these are all good little caves.  I think Stanley Moor was landscaped by the tenant (ie bulldozed over) between 2004 and 2010.  Jakes hole is also worth (one ) visit and virgins hooole is also accessible though it would be much easier to get down the pitch than back up!