Anyone in sheffield want to do some reading?

pwhole

Yeah, there's tons of stuff in there, but it's been looked at many, many times, so not much new to be found. The best resource I've found in Sheffield is the Puttrell Archive on microfiche in the Local Studies Library. If you want to po down there sometime with me, I'll show you where I hide it ;)

alastairgott

I've got two leads in manchester to follow up, got to get an "upstanding" member of society to reference me.

not sure where i'll find one of them...  ;)

particular one i'm excited about is one called "miscellaneous account respecting mines in castleton (including Oden,Top groves, and new rake mines) and on Grassington Moor in Linton parish, co. york BAG/13/3/100  1797-c.1843

and another i'm curious about is "A survey of the castle meadow belonging to John Bagshaw, Esquire" BAG/13/3/87  2 oct. 1798

(edit: seriously "upstanding" really just means someone in the caving world that is a secretary of a caving club or perhaps a major member of PDHMS?) ps. it doesn't have to be long just, a quick note, to say i'm interested in the mining history

AR

I take it that's the Rylands Bagshaw stuff you're wanting to look at? I thought that collection was publicly accessible, I know some of my PDMHS colleagues have been up to look at stuff in recent years and I don't recall any mention of having to jump through hoops to get access. If you do need a reference though, I'd suggest your club secretary does a quick letter explaining who you are and what your interest in the relevant documents is, that ought to be sufficient.

Phil - much as I'd love to have a trawl through the Putterell stuff, as usual I'm lacking the time and my current priority is  to get the Field Grove and Senior map articles finished off and handed over to Richard Shaw! It will need a quick trip to the archives though, just noticed that there are copies of some of the Welbeck Senior maps in the Bagshaw collection....

pwhole

AR - I meant Alastair to check out the microfiche - sorry. I assumed you'd seen it already!

But yeah - Alastair, to save you a lot of scrutinising, it's quite likely the info you are looking for is already extracted, and suggest you have a chat with me offline and we'll see what I have. Jim Rieuwerts and others in this area have it all in their heads anyway, and it's usually a lot quicker to just ask them ;)

alastairgott

ok I just didn't know whether anyone had seen the stuff in manchester so was going to take a look, see you on saturday!  :)

pwhole

I certainly haven't seen anything in Manchester, so would be very interested in what you can find there. Let's have a chat Saturday and see what we can do.

AR

The mining stuff in the Manchester Bagshawe papers was catalogued in an early PDMHS bulletin Phil, I've got a photocopy if you want a look?