Ashover Caves

martinb

MarkC said:
Martin,

How did you get on with this?  Any plans for a return trip...

Mark

The Fallgate Caves were short and interesting as short and interesting caves go. Didn't do the full crawl in Fallgate 'cos it was damp then (June) and its likely to be damper now - but I've got me new Cave Suit, sooo.....

Didn't find Hawthorn Hole, so can go back for that.

Also there's an interesting 'new' hole in the quarry face of the quarry next door (going west) from Fallgate. Just so 'appens that there's a 'No Entry' sign there as well. This hole seems to be a tube of some description, but is likely to be short as the hillside can't be more than 25m behind it.

Bull, red rag, me, never.

If you want to explore - say tomorrow 13th Sept PM or email me - you have my addy.

Martin

martinb

martinb said:
MarkC said:
Martin,

How did you get on with this?  Any plans for a return trip...

Mark

The Fallgate Caves were short and interesting as short and interesting caves go. Didn't do the full crawl in Fallgate 'cos it was damp then (June) and its likely to be damper now - but I've got me new Cave Suit, sooo.....

Didn't find Hawthorn Hole, so can go back for that.

Also there's an interesting 'new' hole in the quarry face of the quarry next door (going west) from Fallgate. Just so 'appens that there's a 'No Entry' sign there as well. This hole seems to be a tube of some description, but is likely to be short as the hillside can't be more than 25m behind it.

Bull, red rag, me, never.

If you want to explore - say tomorrow 13th Sept PM or email me - you have my addy.

Martin

Had another bimble around Fallgate Cave yesterday (Saturday). Squeezed up into the crawl (more like a slither given the rain percolating through!) Got about 4m in to a tiny aven just big enough to look back where I had come from. Ahead it seems as though the upper tube was vadose but then widened considerably at the bottom along a plane - this is where I was crawling.

The vadose can only have been about .5m diameter with the trench being maybe .15m wide by about .5m deep to the plane. Not condusive for getting through!

The floor at this point was dry, but it looks as though something with more legs than me had been around, and just off to the left was a tiny parallel 'tube' with lots of footprints in it.

In the 'aven' some really old formations, but also some still active but very small.

I could see about another 2m ahead, but the roof was low and it looked really tight. So unless I go back with a shovel.....

I did meet a fellow forum member outside after, and he tells me that the actual Fallgate cave is about 15m to the R of this one and about 3 or 4m higher up....which I have seen but have accessed yet due to lack of ladder.

Another trip forthcoming.....and I still haven't found Hawthorn Hole yet.....or investigated the holes in the quarry.  :D

Martin

martinb

danthecavingman said:
Has everyone forgotten about Dumble Hole Swallet? Opened up in the late 90's by Rick Westwood and others.

Dan.

Now then, do you mean Ashover Swallets known locally as 'Dumbles' - actually Spout Swallow Hole, Bull Hole and Tunnel Hole?

Or do you mean Dumble Hole otherwise known as Gateham Swallet near Wetton?

If its the former, Yes I did, but I didn't think they had been explored/dug.

Martin

martinb

Just added Ashover area Caves to Ukcaving Wiki.

Will be exploring Ashover area and adding more as time goes by....... :clap:

Pipster

martinb said:

Is this the quarry (with the motocross track in the vicinity) and cave location (circled in red) your talking about? (Click pic to enlarge)

Presumably its called something like "Butts Quarry Cave" ? Does anyone have an "official" name for it? Tiz a nice little scramble up to it, and the "no entry" sign has no gone. Looks like hardly anyone has been in; did you investigate it any further?

Also, did you take a look at another "hole" (marked on the map below) to the right, higher up? It looked like a cave entrance from the quarry floor, but I didn't wonder up to take a closer look.

martinb

Pipster said:
martinb said:

Is this the quarry (with the motocross track in the vicinity) and cave location (circled in red) your talking about? (Click pic to enlarge)

Presumably its called something like "Butts Quarry Cave" ? Does anyone have an "official" name for it? Tiz a nice little scramble up to it, and the "no entry" sign has no gone. Looks like hardly anyone has been in; did you investigate it any further?

Also, did you take a look at another "hole" (marked on the map below) to the right, higher up? It looked like a cave entrance from the quarry floor, but I didn't wonder up to take a closer look.

Strangely enough. No. The quarry is further to the SE than that one. Just to the south of Fallgate caves. I know of Butts Quarry, but have never investigated it.

On me jollies now, so I may pay a visit on my return.

Martin