Anybody know who was in Masson Cavern last night?

zippy

Hi all.

Did a trip down Masson Cavern last night.  There were lots of cars parked up by the Jug Holes layby, and also some up the farm track closer to Masson Quarry.  Our group had official access via the show cave entrance, so when we arrived we didn't take the time to see who was parked up on Salters Lane - we were parking elsewhere.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, some d**k h**d has decided to add yet another proliferation of painted arrows in the place.  We spotted several white paint arrows and some 'nice' bright pink paint splodges.  The paint was absolutely fresh (wet/dripping) so could only have just been done.  :mad:  :mad:

So to whoever did this, can I politely request that if they are not capable of navigating round a place like Masson without the aid of painted arrows they should keep the F**K out of the place (and all other caves/mines) and take up a new hobby.  Masson Cavern is a SSSI.  Knowingly damaging a SSSI - which includes arrows/graffitti and mineral collecting - is a criminal offence. 

And if anyone knows who the culprits are, feel free to pass on this message, preferably coupled with a good slap  :spank:  and the instructions to clean up the mess they've made.

Z.

crickleymal

There are some idiots around. There's a mine in the FoD where I'm intermittently (very) involved in digging. One main passage with a few side passages that don't go anywhere. Someone found it and decided to put at least one arrow in a side passage. If you managed to get lost you would be the worlds most incompetent navigator. I can imagine finding your own toilet would be difficult.

Goose

Masson is getting a right bashing from Mineral Nerds at the mo  :mad: So, if any of you tossers are reading this forum, I have in my possession (after a recent trip) lots of your gear! obviously I would like return this to you in person so we can have a talk  :mad:

Mark

Goose said:
I have in my possession (after a recent trip) lots of your gear!

Not sure I am comfortable with you taking gear out of caves, tossers or not

Goose

Mark said:
Goose said:
I have in my possession (after a recent trip) lots of your gear!

Not sure I am comfortable with you taking gear out of caves, tossers or not

Mark, as in 'gear' I mean usual mineral collectors paraphernalia...... boxes of candles, buckets, newspapers, pr0n mags, PAINT & BRUSHES etc.... Are they yours???  :confused: I don't make a habit of leaving people underground with no lamps rig etc... if thats what you meant! Being a digger myself I also know what 'digging' gear looks like before you get worried  ;)
Masson is just down the road from me, just doing my bit to protect it!

zippy

...and the mine owners DO keep an eye on the place, and the various forums.

It would be great shame if the place was permanently sealed - an option that is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Z.

Brains

Dont know who has been in, but last time we were there we saw same recent paint - blue I seem to recall - and made a mental note to go with a brush next time to try and clean it up a bit. We also saw at least one bat several times flapping about so that will also be an isssue re sealing and paint fumes etc.
Why is it these people can find their way to the Benefits Agency, pub or chav clothing store without need of waymarks, but cant walk around a far simpler route u/g without daubs string and candles?
Deeply saddend by this news of this site and at others.
:(

Lampwick

Derby MRO had a practice session in the quarry last night, it would be their cars parked in Salters Lane.  Not suggesting any connection, but they might have seen something.

zippy

Cool, that would explain all the cars - ta. 

There's some talk of having a clean-up day at some point soon...

Z.