Absolute Beginner - Interested in sound recording and finding people/caves

jameshuble

Hi!

I have absolutely no experience with caving. No understanding of what equipment I'm likely to need, how dangerous it can be, what the legal concerns are etc.. My interest in getting into it is sound recording. I produce sound art with field recordings and having access to caves would be an absolute goldmine for me - water flows, bizarre acoustics, damp surfaces, wildlife..

I suppose my main question here (beyond just an open hello in an attempt to find people with similar interests) is to ask where I should start? Is there a particular book I should read? Should I find a group somewhere? (I currently live in Lincoln but like travelling around the country to find places. How much money am I likely to need to get started?

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I'm more interested in introducing myself  than anything else..

Thanks for your time,
James

paull

YSS next trycaving weekend 10th Nov , check out the web site or email  yorksubso(AT)hotmail.co.uk for more info  :)

SamT

A couple from our club live in lincoln, They seem very busy having kids of late, but I'll see if they're up for meeting up.

bograt

Apparently Giants entrance series (down to Eating House) is good for sound recording of caves (i.e. flowing/falling water, echo's, etc.).

Not had much experience myself but other people said so. ;)

AR

For another good example of strange acoustic effects underground, try Groaning Tor level in the Via Gellia, which sounds like there's a great waterfall ahead when you go in, but the sound is being made by a small spring coming out of the side of the level. I wouldn't like to say why the level amplifies the sound so much, but it does!