Otter Hole - Neofleece vs furry

JoshW

Hi All,

I've got my first trip down Otter Hole towards the end of this month and have the following kit available:
neo-fleece
furry
PVC suit
cordura suit

I get the impression that PVC is the way to go (for ease of cleaning) is there a general consensus of neo-fleece vs furry underneath a PVC suit in Otter Hole?

I am sherpa-ing for a photo/video trip down past the hall of thirty (overtide) so I guess I'm concerned about catching a chill being underground for that long. I will have my merino balaclava stashed in my pocket.

any advice gratefully appreciated.

Rhys

Personally, when leading trips down there I wear a thermal top, fleece undersuit and a cordura oversuit. Also, I always have a fleece balaclava with me which I'll wear if hanging around or feeling chilly.

Certainly, it's easier to clean the muck off a PVC oversuit and it might be a little warmer, but it is noticeable how much more friction cordura gives you when thrutching and climbing about in the muddy entrance series - so there is an advantage there! I don't currently own a PVC suit so haven't that option, but if I did, that's probably what I'd wear.

You're really not wet for long in Otter Hole, so I wouldn't think a neofleece worth it if your other kit is in reasonable condition.

Hope that helps!
Rhys

JoshW

awesome, thanks. (y)

I'll go for the furry PVC combo with thermals underneath and I can always shed those if in doubt. cheers!

PaulW

you should wear a furry and a neo just to be on the safe side along with your banana man PVC suit  :LOL:

welcome to uk caving  :tease:

badger

Mr Josh why did you not come speak to me, huh.
PVC oversuit, furry undersuit, thermal base layer. belt to keep it all tucked in,
take with you a dry thermal base layer, change into this when you get to film site, also take a balaclava which can put on if you get cold.
buy a barrel of me to dump everything into when you get out the cave, and a packet of wet wipes to clean bits of skin. ;)
simples

JoshW

lovely cheers chaps :hug: I'm sure you'd all said PVC + furry was the best, but Ali P put doubt into my mind :unsure:

badger

sadly my barrels are plastic and empty of beer with a similar sounding name ;)
but are ideal for chucking all the lovely kit into when you get out of otter, as long as you then remember to take it out once home to wash and clean. :beer:

tamarmole

Don't stick your post Otter kit into a washing machine.  Having hosed my kit down (sufficiently as I thought) I did- the fine silt promptly killed my washing machine.