Statistics - UKC

Just noticed some of the number (at the top of a thread) of people who have read a page and they are terrific  :clap:

Is that a reflection of the number of people caving and interested in caving  (y) or maybe not caving  :thumbsdown: and therefore have more time to peruse  :doubt:

kay

Also remember that if you're interested in a thread you will keep going beck for updates. It's not "people", it's "views".

2xw

Ian Ball said:
And probably a few bots scanning for email addresses?

I found to my dismay that Ukcaving bans most bots so it's probably not a large contributing factor.

I do wonder how much crawlers actually harvest email nowadays (people munging their email addresses like wlwhalley at Gmail dot com is worthless and gets on my tits no end)

There's probably a balance of new views and people in that thread updating themselves. I'm sure it would be trivial for ukc team to find out if they wanted to.

The Old Ruminator

Interesting to try a few Google information and image searches to see how high UK Caving rates.

Searching " Caving in Great Britain " UK Caving came a poor 13th on Google. Not a particularly high profile for an important information portal.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately Google does not think Ukcaving is mobile phone friendly and so penalises Ukcaving for that in searches.  You can't seem to find a way to make the software mobile friendly except through third parties like Tapatalk but Google search does not accept that.  It's ongoing and looking for a solution as prior to Google taking up this position ukcaving came out very high in all searches.  I guess it will be the same for most forum software.  Google have us all by the balls I'm afraid  :thumbsdown: :cry:

Madness

The Old Ruminator said:
Interesting to try a few Google information and image searches to see how high UK Caving rates.

Searching " Caving in Great Britain " UK Caving came a poor 13th on Google. Not a particularly high profile for an important information portal.

Try Googling 'BCA'. Not a particularly high profile for an important national representative body.

mikem

BCA is used by a lot of companies with far more money, so no hope there. BCA cave however will take you straight in.

UK Caving is also direct, but UK cave is well down the list...

kay

As someone said, Google individualises searches. UKC came 10th for me, and 4th if I changed the search to "caving UK". And of course top if I search on ukcaving. Which doesn't seem bad. But all that is biased because I haven't cleared my history and Google knows I go to ukc regularly.

I can find BCA only if I add the word "cave" to my search.