Tintern medieval tunnel system found by accident

royfellows

At Goginan, Ceredigion, they put a pole down through the cut and cover deep adit. Still there as it was installed. A few years ago an explorer with a bit of nerve managed to squeeze past it but encountered a blockage about 40 yards beyond.

PeteHall

This has brought back happy memories.

I remember spending hours playing in the drains at Tintern Abbey as a child. I seem to remember one of them emerging in the bank high above the river, though that may have grown in my imagination.

Last time I visited, as a teenager, I think that they were all fenced off or covered with gratings so that you couldn't get in...

ChrisJC

PeteHall said:
This has brought back happy memories.

I remember spending hours playing in the drains at Tintern Abbey as a child. I seem to remember one of them emerging in the bank high above the river, though that may have grown in my imagination.

Last time I visited, as a teenager, I think that they were all fenced off or covered with gratings so that you couldn't get in...

Same as me. We used to go on Scout Camp in the Brecon Beacons, and we'd stop at Tintern on the way. We had a lot of fun in the tunnels.
But as you say, returning as an adult, the health and safety police had fenced them all off.

Chris.

kay

I remember exploring one of the drains during a school trip. There was a limit to what you could do during a two hour visit, in full school uniform, complete with skirt and boater hat

Graigwen

royfellows said:
At Goginan, Ceredigion, they put a pole down through the cut and cover deep adit. Still there as it was installed. A few years ago an explorer with a bit of nerve managed to squeeze past it but encountered a blockage about 40 yards beyond.

Yes, i remember that bloody pole. I've got a photo of it from 1970 somewhere. I was going to go for a crawl up the adit from the stream, but the day before the Ardwyn boys (NCMC)  told me they had not been able to squeeze round it so I did not bother as they were smaller than me. A blockage beyond was always likely in view of the normal level water stood at in Taylors Incline. I greatly enjoyed your photos of the 60fm level on the incline in the 2018 drought.