Henning Valley (Lindale, Furness)

snebbit

Hi all,

Visited Lindale iron mines at the weekend, we weren't able to find Ding Dong (B45) despite an extensive search, although we went over to Henning Valley afterwards and found a nice level. I was wondering if:

- anyone can help identify whether we were in Margaret Mine horse level or Pickshaw. The main level was maybe 200m long, with a perpendicular branch to the right about halfway along. Another parallel level was accessible in a couple of places alongside the main level, slightly lower
- anyone's been down Ding Dong recently, is there still plenty to go at?
- anyone is able to help provide me with any more detailed maps of the area than the one in CAT newsletter 5?

Cheers

Mark

I don't know if this will help, but it is a great resource anyway

Historical 25inch map of the area with google maps overlay, that you can fade in and out

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.730000000000022&lat=54.18034&lon=-3.15783&layers=168&b=1

ChrisJC

Have you searched for Ding Dong on the CATMHS website?
www.catmhs.org.uk

There are a large number of hits.

Chris.

Monty_Stubble

The level is the main Horse Level and is not Margaret mine. Originally the Horse level went right through towards Tytup.

Ding Dong is not in Henning Valley, it's on the other side of the road nearer to Marton Village. It is a shaft with a grill on the top. There is a handy tree to belay to. The shaft is about 90' deep. there's lots to see down there but after a dry spell there some amazing extensions.

Pitlamp

I presume you have access to the information I plan in one or other of Holland's 1960s "Underground in Furness" guides? If not PM me.