2021--A vintage Caving Year after all ?!!

A look back:- yes it was horrible -with the pandemic Biblical weather lockdowns etc
HOWEVER on refection taking care caving in the UK had (in no special order)
  Excellent new discoveries by hard perstant work in
Darbyshire-Cussy pot (Eylam) and a New mater cave
The Dales -a major find on Inglebough (extension of Mayday Hole)
              Very good work in 3 counties Area new cave and usefully the
Unblocking of Aygill and Ireby fell caverns!!
South Wales a lot of work put in but all credit to them and nation wide CRO  teams for the outstanding successful rescue of a multi injured caver in OFD
Also on a different tact -- cave diving and a multi club  help to do the 3 counties Travererse  :clap:
TV and press coverage in 2021 a good read  :coffee: and view some excep for odd one best I've seen in 60 years!!
elsewhere even in "small "Portl;and interesting stuff done sorry to miss some out But it has seemed to have been a vintage year
Well done to the big number involved who also took great care re the 2021 situation

Cantclimbtom

Nothing I did is remotely comparable to the giant achievements discussed above, but wanted to mention a few things because while the last couple of years have been a giant turd for so many people, many of us have had some silver linings mixed in there too. So let's collectively whistle "Always look on the bright side of life" and celebrate our own small silver linings too, as well as giving huge respect to the giant achievements above.

2021 mine exploring wasn't my most productive year, but I did get underground a bit and enjoyed my first solo pull-through trip, which for me psychologically stepped up the ante a bit even if it was an otherwise easy trip. On the subject of caving (I'm no caver) 2021 was a milestone as I went on my first 2 actual caving trips. First one in the Dales and then second one in Derbyshire (thanks again to the 2 forum members who were kind enough to babysit me through it!). I greatly enjoyed both trips.

Amongst the big black clouds, 2021 did have some great stuff in it too, even if we had to be a bit careful about things.

PeteHall

No significant discoveries for me during the year, but I think my highlight of 2021 was the CDG 75th anniversary dinner and celebrations.

Despite doing plenty of caving over the year, the social scene was very much more muted, so it was absolutely brilliant to see so many friends together for a big celebration.

51472753538_735695de79_k.jpg

The only other big 'party' I managed during the year has been mentioned already...

[warning]Discussion on caver's standards of dress split to: https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=29027.0 [/warning]

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Andy, what a positive post - you should apply for the P and I position at BCA  ;)