Ogof Cynnes

AberSteve

A few of us are planning a trip here tomorrow, but look at the map the grid reference given in the guide doesn't seem right to me for some reason.  Last time I was there I seem to remember it being further to the East.  Can anyone confirm if the grid reference given is accurate (SO 14088 15408)?
Cheers

shortscotsman

Used a grid reference plus GPS a few years ago and it took me straight to the entrance.  I'm pretty sure I was using
the Stratford book which is SO 14088 15408

SO 141 253  is way out [should it be  141 153?]

Its a decent walk over undulating moor - hope the weather is better for you tommorow than it was today!

NigR

Steve,

The first reference you mention should be good enough.

I logged it myself several years ago as SO 14093 15405, altitude 518m.

Can't remember if I had bothered to calibrate the altimeter that particular day and the accuracy has probably improved on more recent models of GPS in any case, so let me know if you come up with a better fix.

As Shortscotsman says, the reference from 1968 is best ignored (probably a misprint).

Looking for a back way into Carno by any chance? Good luck!

ogofmole

shortscotsman said:
SO 141 253  is way out [should it be  141 153?]

But to be fair, this was recorded in 1968 without the aid of GPS. And some of these areas are a bit featureless to get a good reference mark.

NigR

Didn't look at the link to the scan of the 1968 survey until now, it does actually say SO 141 153.

There is indeed a misprint but it is of much more recent origin, i.e. on this thread, today!

So, I do agree that being only 100m out in such a confusing and featureless area (without a GPS) is a pretty good effort.

(Mind you, it is hardly surprising as Martyn was born and bred just a few miles down the road!)

NigR

Steve,

So did you find the entrance OK yesterday?

(Or maybe you are still there? Hopefully still forging on towards the connection with Carno!)

AberSteve

Yes we found the cave again after a little searching.  The grid reference is correct, just got confused on the last trip by the path which leads away from the cairn (it isn't the one shown on the map  :-[ )

Turned out to be a very good trip, went down to Black Hole series for a snoop around.

Anyone going any soon be careful of all the bats, there are tons down there at the moment with some resting in rather inconsiderate place (don't worry we didn't disturb any, though for anyone not moving as carefully as we were it would be very easy to accidentally disturb them).  We would have had a better look around but didn't want to risk anything, maybe return in the summer.

NigR

Glad you had a good trip and the reference was OK.

Well done for being so considerate towards the bats, the cave is their home after all.

Just goes to show that cavers and bats can happily coexist so long as a modicum of common sense is used (as has been ably demonstrated at various other sites in South Wales over the years).