Craig A Ffynnon Access

bagpuss

Minion said:
On a recent visit to the cave, we found significant rockfall had come down in front of the gate.

All rubble was moved down to the footpath before we could enter the cave.

More looks to be poised to come down, take care when entering or exiting the cave.

Completely out of the caving loop after a hiatus for health reasons. I'd love to revisit Craig A Fynnon. I'm aware that there's been lots of works on the Heads of the Valley road, what is the situation regarding parking for the cave & also do you know who we'd contact for a key? Thanks all!

Minion

Parking in the lay by down on the road is still fine.

For a key contact Malcolm Reid, his contact details should be on the MLCMAC website..... if it?s still up online?

Stuart France

I was there last week.  There is no new rockfall and what there is put below the cave entrance is a pretty minor amount of rubble.  Doesn't mean to say that no more will come down and in what quantity!

MLCMAC is in the process of sorting out a new website having let the old hosting contract expire.  The content needs amendment now that NRW has given up with direct involvement in cave management committees - or at least with this one - which I guess means input of some volunteer's time.  As noted above, Adrian Fawcett is the group's secretary and can set up caver access.

Costain has said that the informal caver parking layby (now with a tarmac surface) will remain after the road works finish.  It's on Beaufort Estate land, as is the cave, and this landowner is really helpful.  Also Monmouthshire County Council it seems have installed a litter bin in the layby too.  There was no litter last week, so let's give MCC some support and put any litter found around there in their bin.