Twll Clogfaen

WelshR

Hi, newbie here. Be kind 😃

Has anyone done this cave? If so, does anyone know where exactly it is near Cefn Coed, also does anyone have any information on the cave

Thanks

mikem

Not my trip (same report is on this forum):
http://blog.dudleycavingclub.org.uk/2015/06/twll-clogfaen-ogof-tee-caving-heaven.html?m=1

Huge

Hi WelshR. Twll Clogfaen is easy to find.

When you drive North up the A470 from the Heads of the Valleys road at Merthyr, the road rises at first. Just over the rise, you'll see a stone faced retaining wall on your left. Just beyond that is a turning on the left, just before the national park sign and a large sign for the Garwnant forestry centre. Turn in here, it's only about half a mile from the roundabout.  The road turns back on itself and you park immediately on the left, on a hard standing area. Opposite is a footpath following the stream up along a small, wooded valley. You'll also see a barrier surrounding a curvert taking the stream under the area where you're parked. Twll Clogfaen is just upstream of the culvert, on the left bank, looking upstream. It's about 20 seconds from the car! Remember to take a couple of adjustable spanners as the grill covering the entrance is secured with a Derbyshire key.

The cave is quite short but worth a trip. Take time to marvel at the stone walling running up the side of the stream which holds back the material pulled out of the dig. It goes a surprisingly long way!! The first part of the cave, the pitches area, is pleasant and nicely decorated (after squirming through the choke!). If you didn't stop to look at the formations, it would probably take about 10 minutes to get to the bottom of the second pitch. Both have fixed ladders, the one on the second pitch is ... unusual! The cave changes after this! Crawling through boulders, on the left at the base of the second pitch, leads into a long flat out crawl in the stream. I didn't get very far along here on my visit because the person I was with didn't fancy it as he wasn't very cave fit at the time. Apparently it enlarges at a junction with another stream. Downstream goes to the sump and upstream ends at an aven.

Hope that helps and you have a good trip.  :)