Greenside Mine

thehungrytroglobite

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any info regarding current access arrangements to Greenside Mine (Glenridding)? I've e-mailed CATMHS but haven't had a response yet.

Thanks,
Anna  :beer:

royfellows

You will have to stick with going through CAT as the mine is securely locked and only they and CUMRU have keys.

Pete K

I imagine their meets programme is somewhat curtailed due to Covid-19, I don't recall receiving any emails from them recently. It's certainly worth the wait for a trip whenever things get going again, but being a leader led one, it might not be on for a little while yet.

Hammy

There?s a CATMHS meet today (Sunday) at Greenside today for a surface walk. No plans for underground meets just yet.

alastairgott

Bit late to the thread! Having been a mothballed topic for about a year. I was told today by family members that they spotted a mine up there. So had to have a search when back at home and found out they were talking of Greenside.

Is it any good? Looks big?

ChrisJC

It is a big mine. There used to be a through trip, but it is presently blocked.

Access to the bottom entrance is controlled by CATMHS.

Chris.

Pete K

alastairgott said:
Is it any good? Looks big?
Well worth the visit mate. Puts our 'little' Derbyshire mines to shame. Book on a CATMHS trip if you can or perhaps we could ask about a TSG field trip.

mch

Pete K said:
Well worth the visit mate. Puts our 'little' Derbyshire mines to shame. Book on a CATMHS trip if you can or perhaps we could ask about a TSG field trip.
As Pete says, well worth the visit. I went there in the early 80s when the bottom entrance was still inaccessible and you had to go up the fell and in the top entrance and descend 100s of feet of fixed ladders (including a chain ladder if I remember rightly), finished off with a 40' pitch that we laddered. At one point there was an opening from a level into a stope and you could not see the top, bottom or end, it was enormous!