Christmas Day sinkhole in Bristol

pwhole

Wow - that's the only street in Bristol I know. A guy I used to work with lived there - it's near the Clifton Bridge.

rhychydwr1

Not really surprising as it is on limestone near to the Avon Gorge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274625218967

RobinGriffiths

In Mercia Mudstone, but that's the same formation as the entrance to Wookey, so maybe the good old Dolomitic Conglomerate?

Andy Farrant

It is on the 'Dolomitic Conglomerate', but if you look at the various photos online, you can see two brick arches that have collapsed, so some kind of vault, cellar or bomb shelter? It's not a natural sinkhole.

CavingPig

Went to look at this yesterday and a resident told us it's cellars - as Andy says, you could make out some brickwork and remnants of arches. All the houses on the square (which are all huge and fancy) have big cellars that extend quite a long way, but I don't think people realised quite how far! (I would say the edge of the hole is about 8 m from the front of the nearest houses)

PeteHall

Having designed basement conversions for a couple of these houses, I can confirm that there is a lot below ground, often extending a considerable distance from the above-ground part of the house.

Speleofish

A friend of mine once lived there - there was almost as much house below ground as above it (all dating back long before Russian oligarchs were invented).