5 lights
5 srt kits
400 meters of rope
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Mike

Blueberry

There is also Buxton Caving Supplies.
I have heard that they maybe closing, but that has been a rumour for a while, so there maybe be some bargains. 

https://www.caving-supplies.co.uk/

moorebooks

Blueberry said:
There is also Buxton Caving Supplies.
I have heard that they maybe closing, but that has been a rumour for a while, so there maybe be some bargains. 

https://www.caving-supplies.co.uk/

Theres always a deal to be done, but margins are such there are no giveaways

Mike

Ian Ball

What is your budget?
What is your target user?

Child, female, male?

Full srt kit, variety for members to try or all the same?

All the same lamp, rechargeable or AA powered supplied by the user?
Helmet mounted?

Rope 400 or 440m?
Type A or B?

cavemanmike

Srt kit is for training club members(male, female)
Lamps I'm open to suggestions but possibly fenix
Rope is  to replace old stock for srt trips, Yorkshire /Derbyshire /big deep shafts in North Wales etc etc

andrewmcleod

10mm class A rope will suit most clubs these days, I suspect (10.5mm if you really want it to last - mostly because no-one will want to use it...)
Don't forget rope shrinks 10-15% - I measure and cut first, then soak to wash out lubricant and shrink, as you don't know how much it has shrunk after the first soak otherwise and it's difficult to guess how much more shrinkage it still has left.
Generally the best rope for such purposes is the cheapest rope... when I was BEC tacklemaster I got Petzl Club 10mm which is perfectly reasonable rope.

TLH

I think a club Dales weekend is in order to see what other clubs are using kit wise? Let?s call it a research weekend!

Other than that, I?d definitely recommend Tony at Starless River 😊

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
You could do a lot worse than:

Lights: Fenix HL 60

Rope: Gleinstein 9mm rope. Nice to rig with, less volume.

SRT kits
User Friendly and ?quality?, to give people learning a better experience.

Harnesses:  A variety for people to try. Petzl Super Avanti and the MTDE ?Club? are good choices.

Chest harnesses:  Alp design Doma

Central connector: Moka (So much easy to use than a mallion)

Hand Jammer: Petzl Basic

Hand Jammer connector: DMM PerfectO Triact

Chest Jammer: Croll and CT

Cowstails: 9mm Dynamic , carabiners attached with barrel knots.

Cowstails carabiners: CT Nimble screwgate (long)
Petzl  Dijnn alloy bent gate Short

Descender: Petzl Stop (new) and Simple (New)

Descender Connector: Frenio Z (Triact ) and Petzl Am?d (Triact)

Extra Friction carabiner: Petzl Dijnn (Steel) bent gate and Edelrid Bulletproof

Footloop: Cords Courant 8mm bright Green low stretch rope.

The above doesn?t give the cheapest options, but from experience gives people new to SRT a bit of variety to try and produces a ?quality? SRT kit that is user friendly.

Happy to help answer any specific questions you may have.

Ian

andrewmcleod

Ian P said:
Rope: Gleinstein 9mm rope. Nice to rig with, less volume.

Bit fancy (and delicate) for club rope :p Presumably to meet the Class A criteria at 9mm, the sheath/core ratio has been shifted in favour of the core, probably limiting durability (in the same way skinny sport singles don't last as long as half ropes of the same diameter). having just looked at some sheath/core ratios, Gleistein is 39% sheath, Beal Unicore 8.5 mm (class B) is 41% sheath, Beal Spelenium Gold 9.5mm (class B) is 40% sheath as is their Spelenium 9mm (class B)... so seems most ropes have basically the same 40/60 sheath/core split and I don't know how Gleistein have done it! :)

Hand Jammer connector: DMM PerfectO Triact

Do you not find DMM triple actions jam up incredibly quickly underground? I used a pair of twist-action crabs as cowstail crabs for a while with no problems, but all the DMM triple action carabiners just jammed up and stopped closing properly (fantastic crabs above ground, though). I've not had the same problems with Petzl triacts, even with limited maintenance. They may have got better since then.

Cowstails carabiners: CT Nimble screwgate (long)

I've never been a fan of screwgates on cowstails because the reality is that they never get done up. I feel they are the worst of all worlds... better to either just stick to snapgates, or get double action/VF carabiners (or triacts if you like faff).

A list of good kit though :)

pwhole

We've virtually replaced our entire rope stock at the TSG with Gleistein 9mm, and hang the cost - it's just too good not to. My few lengths of personal rope are also Gleistein. We haven't noticed any worse damage so far than the previous stock, but it's so much nicer to rig with and to use - and carry back! It does require better technique for sure, due to the suppleness and lower diameter. The only problem can be knots over-tightening due to the above characteristics, so I tend to rig with Figure-9s rather than 8s. Abrasion resistance shouldn't be an issue if the rigging's done right, other than maybe on rough traverses, so just use cheaper rope there if need be.

As it is rated Type-A, I've tested it with both an i'D and a Rig, and both were absolutely fine, though I can't imagine many RA companies actually going for that. The new Rig is lovely on 9mm, and I'd almost be tempted to use it for caving if it weren't so expensive. 80p a metre is usually considered luxurious, though they'd no doubt claim it was concerns over the diameter :)

Fjell

Is that Gleistein Elvish-made or something? It?s quoted with a higher strength than 10mm Edelrid Super Static at 66g/m.

Fulk

I can't answer Fjell's question, but I do agree that Gleistein 9-mm (albeit it looks a bit thicker that some other 9-mm ropes) is excellent rope. I'm intrigued, however, as to why there are two versions ? a yellow one and an orange one (in my estimation the yellow one is slightly better, but that's a very subjective opinion that I'd be hard to justify, really).

Mark Wright

ZombieCake said:
Type A or B?

What's the difference?  Always was under the impression there was static and dynamic. Have things changed?

This should answer your question.

https://www.edelrid.de/en/knowledge-base/norms/en1891.php

I wouldn't personally recommend using 9mm as a club rope unless all club members are SRT proficient. A novice with a new Stop could get quite a shock at the much speedier descent rate of these thinner ropes. 10mm or 10.5mm would be my recommended Club rope diameter. 

Mark