Info on Glues

Paul Marvin

Hi Guys

On our last trip filming underwater the threads went on the video light body that the ball attachment screws into, the light is still fine but wondered apart from araldite or maybe pinkgrip if anybody knows of something new that would hold it back in place before I invest in a new one  :-\. open to any sensible suggestions, the two material are aircraft aluminum  .

Paul

ChrisJC

How about repairing the thread with a Heli-Coil ?

https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/brands/optia/heli-coil

Chris.

Paul Marvin

ChrisJC said:
How about repairing the thread with a Heli-Coil ?

https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/brands/optia/heli-coil

Chris.

Mmmm  :-\  I have sent them a email buddy The thread I believe is The 1/4 ? 20 UNC thread

royfellows

If you can get the horse back, I may have away of closing the stable door.

Lamps I built in the past used underwater floodlight aluminium diecastings (Chinese wonder metal). There was a stainless screw into the aluminium that held the bracket. Being familiar with aluminium I replaced these with stainless grub screws and nylon thumb nuts secured the brackets.

Paul Marvin

Update

Its actually the ball stem that screws into the light that the threads have gone its the standard 1/4 inch with the 1 inch ball on the end if any body has one I could buy of them ?

Similar to the Pic shown

Attachments

• ball.jpg
    ball.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 134

bograt

If you vaseline the male thread then use an epoxy type putty (I use Milliput) to pack the stripped section and assemble it,  let it set for a day, you should be able to unscrew it and tidy it up by sanding off any excess.

Paul Marvin

bograt said:
If you vaseline the male thread then use an epoxy type putty (I use Milliput) to pack the stripped section and assemble it,  let it set for a day, you should be able to unscrew it and tidy it up by sanding off any excess.

Its the male thread on the stem thats gone buddy

bograt

Could try greasing the female thread and resin putty the male, but success would depend on how much of the stripped thread remains to get a good key to the bond.

AR

Taking tap and die one step further, it might be possible to cut the knackered male section off, then drill into the remainder and tap it for an equivalent thread. Then, get some threaded rod of the correct diameter and thread pitch, screw it in and use threadlock compound (or superglue!) to keep it there, and finally cut to the required length.

Steve Clark

Is the thread machined as part of the ali ball thing itself or is it a separate threaded stud/insert?

We had one that worked like this, it was just a socket cap bolt inside the ali :

You could just drill straight through the whole thing and use a bolt - assuming you can get a UNC one.

HTB1GaVeJVXXXXckXFXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg

Paul Marvin

Steve Clark said:
Is the thread machined as part of the ali ball thing itself or is it a separate threaded stud/insert?

We had one that worked like this, it was just a socket cap bolt inside the ali :

You could just drill straight through the whole thing and use a bolt - assuming you can get a UNC one.

HTB1GaVeJVXXXXckXFXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg

No mate its just turned in the Aluminium, I have found some on good old ebay with a stainless thread and ordered myself two, they were not expensive  (y)

Paul