OFD Trip

Paul Marvin

Hi Guys

First of all is OFD open after the incident in there ? if so has anybody got a couple of hours to do a quick trip to introduce us to the place next week we are in the area 21st-26th.

Thanks

Paul

PeteHall

Not aware of any access restrictions.

Also worth a read of this one if you haven't:
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=28817.0

Regarding having a look around, if you head into bottom entrance, you'll probably manage to occupy a couple of hours without getting too lost on your own. It's also arguably the nicest the soonest (particularly if you like water), so a pretty good option all around.  (y)

alastairgott

Guessing a little, but I think it was shortscotsman that I did a trip with on Thursday last week, and I can confirm downstream of great oxbow the weather in the cave is chilly!  :cry:  I would have worn different gear, following tomasz's lead with the wetsuit, had I used my brain.

If not shortscotsman, I'll have to think again :-\

PeteHall

If you go in bottom entrance, it's worth taking a look down-slope to the right at the bottom of the entrance ladder. You'll not get far, but you'll enjoy the view at the end  (y)

mrodoc

Some SWCC  member on call out searches used to run up the streamway in shorts and T-shirts!

Tony_B

mrodoc said:
Some SWCC  member on call out searches used to run up the streamway in shorts and T-shirts!

For many years, shorts were the preferred mode of attire in the OFD streamway. This was before the days of fleece suits and oversuits, when old clothes were standard caver-wear. The thinking was that boiler suits or similar got heavy when wet and didn't keep you warm in the water anyway, so you might as well wear shorts.
A former SWCC President is reputed to have tried on a caving oversuit in an outdoor shop and, having decided that it fitted, paid for it and then asked to borrow a pair of scissors. He then proceeded to cut the legs off the suit to make it a 'shorty'. The story may be apocryphal.
When I joined SWCC in the mid-1980s there were still a few of the old guard wearing shorts into the cave, but by then it was largely done to play to the curiosity of shocked newbies.   

Paul Marvin

Had our first trip in here today with Tony and Simon, Tony is very very well clued up on and the caves in south Wales and one of the funniest guys we have ever met .He is like a professional tour guide with a story at every junction and above all thinking of others safety at all times.

Big thank you to them both for giving up there time  (y) :clap:

Paul

Graigfawr

Tony_B said:
For many years, shorts were the preferred mode of attire in the OFD streamway. This was before the days of fleece suits and oversuits, when old clothes were standard caver-wear. The thinking was that boiler suits or similar got heavy when wet and didn't keep you warm in the water anyway, so you might as well wear shorts.
A former SWCC President is reputed to have tried on a caving oversuit in an outdoor shop and, having decided that it fitted, paid for it and then asked to borrow a pair of scissors. He then proceeded to cut the legs off the suit to make it a 'shorty'. The story may be apocryphal.
When I joined SWCC in the mid-1980s there were still a few of the old guard wearing shorts into the cave, but by then it was largely done to play to the curiosity of shocked newbies. 

The SWCC member that introduced me to the club in the 80s remained loyal to shorts even after obtaining their first oversuit around 1980 which had its legs cut off mid-thigh. Thus inflenced, I wore a boilersuit with cut off legs for OFD2 trips for a period around 1985-86, to the approval of the Old Guard, as such attire was rapidly dying out, to their dismay. In due course I changed to conventional oversuit and undersuit which I wore everywhere else. However, for a further 15 or 20 years I wore shorts under a boilersuit when mining because I could roll the legs well up and remain dry on short wading sections, and cotton was superior to cordura for wiping wet or muddy hands when surveying or doing photography. So the shorty tradition in SWCC cast an influence, at least on me, well into the new millennium.

mrodoc

As a matter of sartorial interest in the USA custom made cordura shorts are regularly worn as many caves are warm but you still need hard wearing kit. As far as I am aware nobody imports them.

Paul Marvin

mrodoc said:
As a matter of sartorial interest in the USA custom made cordura shorts are regularly worn as many caves are warm but you still need hard wearing kit. As far as I am aware nobody imports them.

Dickies Redhawk overalls they are tough bro, and not to expensive . I think Roy Fellows uses them as well    (y)