shuttleworth newt

thehungrytroglobite

Does anyone know if the Shuttleworth Newt has been dated? If so, what was the conclusion? I haven't been able to find any detail on this.

Thank you!

mikem

It certainly wouldn't be there if subjected to any flooding, so probably not ancient. Have you tried this publication:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-remarkably-well-preserved-skeleton-of-a-newt-Triturus-sp-which-would-be-about-50_fig10_281535728

We have newts living in a cave on Mendip.

Pitlamp

thehungrytroglobite said:
Does anyone know if the Shuttleworth Newt has been dated? If so, what was the conclusion? I haven't been able to find any detail on this.

Thank you!

The title of this topic should really be "Witches Cave II Newt". Shuttleworth Pot is the dig which broke into the top of avens climbed originally from Witches Cave II. (It's a common thing people say, understandably, because of the newer dry access route.)

andrewmcleod

Am I right in thinking that the newt is inaccessible as the passage is taped off? (or did I just miss it when I last went down Shuttleworth with the survey).

I have a laminated copy of the Shuttleworth survey and all the SSSI monitoring photos (see the CNCC page for Shuttleworth), which makes a fun trip (try to find all the features of interest) :)

Benfool

Its in My Newt passage, which is down a small hole on the left hand side of the main passage. Its very easy to climb down the hole, getting out is more interesting

It is indeed across some conservation tape, so obviously I've never been down to see it in case the cave police caught me.

B

andrewmcleod

I'm happier knowing that the skeleton is behind some tape and protected (and I hope everyone respects that) than it ends up like the dog skeleton, which apparently used to be reasonably intact but was probably already a messy pile of bones by the time I started caving.

It would be easy to say I knew better than other people and wouldn't cause any damage, but I'm not better than other people (and people who think they are are generally wrong)...

A_Northerner

Someone Who Isn't Me once went down to have a look, My Newt passage is indeed beyond conservation tape, but once you drop into the chamber you are apparently encircled in a 1m ring of tape, telling you loud and clear not to move from that spot. The tape circle is surrounded by pristine cracked mud formations and a second tiny circle of tape surrounds the newt itself. It couldn't be more clear, even if you accidentally strayed beyond the tape in order to reach My Newt passage, that the newt shouldn't be interfered with.

caving_fox

A_Northerner said:
Someone Who Isn't Me once went down to have a look, My Newt passage is indeed beyond conservation tape, but once you drop into the chamber you are apparently encircled in a 1m ring of tape, telling you loud and clear not to move from that spot. The tape circle is surrounded by pristine cracked mud formations and a second tiny circle of tape surrounds the newt itself. It couldn't be more clear, even if you accidentally strayed beyond the tape in order to reach My Newt passage, that the newt shouldn't be interfered with.

And if were to find yourself there I'd recommend leaving someone on the surface just in case combined tactics are required to extract you from somewhere you shouldn't be. Certainly not personal experience.

andrewmcleod

I'm actually a little shocked and surprised that people are crossing tape; I should have thought that was a universal no-no...

And the only thing I can think of worse than tape that people cross is tape that people do cross when they are 'in the know'... basically bringing access back to funny handshakes and who-you-know.

If it's OK to visit the passage, then there shouldn't be tape. If it isn't, then no-one should be crossing it.

A_Northerner said:

how confusing, i remember reading about it and then being confused about why i couldn't find it when i went in.

On another note, can anyone tell me approximately how long it took them to get in, see everything and get out? I did it in summer but can?t remember how long it took.

1) The tape needs rearranging. Having tape where the gnostics know they can cross it devalues tape in the minds of users. The chamber does get visited.
2) Getting in is quick
3) Quite small so no more than two people down there. Duration depends on your photographic enthusiasm.
4) Don't even think about even leaning over the tape, PLEASE. Don't take loads of cluter with you.
5) Getting out: you will need to have thought about this before going in.... Without a bit of forethought (and you should have left your gear at the bottom of the pitch) it is quite a thrutch up a steep slippery slope. (perhaps starting on your back....).
So, in answer, the round trip to see the Newts could take a long time...
6) If you been once don't go again! The more traffic the more risk.

mikem

Some caves have clips on the tape to show it's a gateway, but still suggest extra care must be taken. I suppose it depends if it's a site that gets a lot of visits from people who don't know what they're looking at.