windows xp and pain

Stu

i updated from win 98se to win xp home ed about 5 months ago and now i dont know why i bothered. crashes and clashes all the bloody time. keep getting a blue screen of death far too regularly though it settles after about half a dozen crashes. stop: errors with loads of numbers and something about win32k.sys. googled it and it appears to be a common problem from what little i understand of it. suggestions range from re install - didnt work. to jiggery pokery im not even going to try. nothing hardware wise has been added to the machine from the days it was running 98. any ideas. only upgraded cos i felt i should, ie updates were being stopped for 98

ta in advance

J

Jonathan T

I don't have any problem with mine. Have you installed any programs from your win98 days that may not be XP compatible?

paul

It could also be a hardware problem... a few years ago I had a problem with an NT 4 server at work. Worked perfectly for months then one day it crashed and from then on it regularly suffered the BSOD.

Hardware support guts replace RAM, M/B everything they could think of to no avail.

One day, I carefully removed the case to check comething out while the macgine was still running and spotted the CPU fan had packed up! Bought a repacement for a fiver and the crashes disappeared....

It may be a coincidence, but since yout upgrade you may have had a hardware failure???

bubba

Administrator
You said that you upgraded from Win98 to XP - probably not great for starters....

But anyway, when Windows get's the state you are describing, the best thing to do is:
- Save all your data to CD/DVD
- Format your hard drive from DOS
- Divide your hard-drive into 3 or 3 partitions - C: for Windows/Office, D: for all other programs, and another one or two partitions for data/downloads/documents/etc
- Install Windows XP SP1a
- Re-install your programs
- Use Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost to make a backup image of your stable system so that next time all you have to is restore to that image without having to do all the above steps again.

Stu

sounds good (like i'd know!)...how do you format from dos whilst running xp. i tried this the first time i reinstalled but each time i tried dos prompts stated something about not being able to do it. it seemed very self preservational (sp?). had to install a second hard drive (which i knew had 98 on) nominate as 1st boot device and then formatted duff drive from within that. hassle. and thanks, i know this should probably be dealt with at a shop/by an engineer so i appreciate anything.

bubba

Administrator
Although you can open a dos window as usual in XP, you can't "reboot to dos" like you could in 98, so you need to create a dos floppy from XP (or download one) then do a restart. You can then run Format C: and then use FDISK to partition your drives - I'd leave about 3 or 4 GB for C:, then split the others up depending on the size of your hard drive.

Win XP should install onto a newly formatted system...my copies do anyway but I know there's different versions about. There's plenty of places to download copies if you're willing to be less than completely legit about it.

Brendan

Whats wrong with left-over pizza? I think it's very harsh to compare it to Windows XP. Pizza is much better :D

T

Titch98

I use XP Pro, myself. Tried Home edition (as did friends of mine) and had nothin but problems with it. As soon as I upped to Pro edition, system has been running sweet. Don't ask me the logic in it..................all I know is that it works!

Stu

Don't feel at all inclined to hand over anymore money to "that" organisation. Have linux suse ready to try when I can do without a pc for a while.