Wiki Jargon Section?

K

Keith L

I was browsing the Wiki and the one bit I couldn't find is a Jargon/Slang/Abbreviation section. To a newbie what is a rack, a krab, a jammer? There seems to be some referencing such as "[[pitches]]" but it doesn't link anywhere.

Have we got a jargon section? Do we need one?

dunc

Chances are it hasn't been added by anyone as yet - as you say references such as [[pitch]] etc have probably been put on certain pages but nobody has created the 'pitch' page yet.. There is an equipment section, with a link to equipment for vertical-caving which provides information on ascenders/descenders etc

Something in that area for jargon/slang might be an idea.. Are you volunteering then?  ;)

bubba

Administrator
I think the technical term is "glossary" :)

But good idea to start one - do you fancy starting it off Keith then others can add as and when?

susie

bubba said:
I think the technical term is "glossary" :)

But good idea to start one - do you fancy starting it off Keith then others can add as and when?

I've started a glossary which is accessed through the Main Page, and added an item to suggest a format.

K

Keith L

Looking good! I'd join in, if I could...  ::) I think I registered as 'Keith L' some time back, but I've lost the password, the server's sendmail still isn't working so I've got no way of resetting  it o_O I'll create a new account if I have to...

bubba

Administrator
Well using a password that you remember might be a good idea ;)

I'll reset it but it'll be later on today before I can....

graham

bubba said:
Well using a password that you remember might be a good idea ;)

But the IT "experts" always tell us to use non-memorable passwords - and never to write them down!

bubba

Administrator
Keith L said:
...as would using a server that works  ;)
This is true. It still works fine for most people's email addresses but rejects a significant minority.

I have tried to wade in and explore the inner workings of sendmail/spamassassin and the other MTAs on the server but I soon  o_O  o_O

I really need to put the time in - I fear the last changes I made actually made things worse. Time to download a sendmail tutorial ebook I reckon...

K

Keith L

bubba said:
Keith L said:
...as would using a server that works  ;)
This is true. It still works fine for most people's email addresses but rejects a significant minority.
You've made me look now  ::) Nothing obvious externally, DNS and MX checks out OK, the server isn't on any blacklists, so it does look like the it's getting lost within the server. The formmail (or whatever) interface to the MTA seems OK, the client side is reporting a success, so it looks like the mailer daemon is binning it. But why? I thought spamassasin was on the inbound side and not the outbound? I see you're running on a US server farm box, do you have access to the mailer daemon logs to give any clue as to what's going on?

Sorry... I'll get my anorak...  :)

bubba

Administrator
Yes, I probably do have log access and should wade in and get mucky... did you get your password reset PM btw?

K

Keith L

Glossary is looking good  :) I managed to log in today and I made a few changes. I've created a new 'CompactTOC' template that's useful for any alphabetical list, I've edited a few more references from other pages into the Glossary. I've also created a 'Sandbox' page, somewhere to play with the Wiki features, feel free to rake it over and build your own trial sandcastles  8)

langcliffe

Keith L said:
I've created a new 'CompactTOC' template that's useful for any alphabetical list.

Excellent! I have incorporated it into the Caving Club list page.

I miss the vast wealth of templates available on Wikipedia.

K

Keith L

langcliffe said:
I miss the vast wealth of templates available on Wikipedia.

"Borrow" them then, how do you think I got CompactTOC?  8)