Bar Pot entrance

T

Titch98

Failing miserably last time on a visit (!), looking at doing Gaping Ghyll via Bar Pot again some time in the not too distant future.

Anyone help with a description of where the entrance to Bar Pot is, as looking with your back to the wooden stile passing over the stone wall. Do you continue up the track towards GG, or do you have to head off in a different direction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stu

Back with stile behind you, ignore main path to GG & Aim left towards big depression. Hole under a small bluff/craglet type thing! Had some metal (BAR!) in it last time I was down. If you've walked more than (rough guess) 100m from stile you've gone too far.

M

mickw

left of path 60m good trip frst pitch best on ladder have fun
mick

T

Titch98

:ev:

Found the depression on last trip and had walk around in for a few minutes. Probably passed entrance whilst there.

How f&!!#?g anoying!!

Getwet

Can anyone tell me if there are any access restrictions active on Bar Pot. I did hear a permit was needed, if so is this a MUST or a should have. Any advice would be good

C

cavefungi

Thats the official line, I think.
To be honest though, I have never bothered!!!

mudmonkey

The estate are really good about permits, I've rung the day before to get trips booked. When someone's that helpful it's well worth playing along - plus (unless the pirates are out...) it reduces the chances of getting 25,000 ropes on the pitches.

Bar Pot may be not far from a footpath, but it's not on it, and even if it was, there's no legal right of entry. I don't think the estate are too bothered about pirating but it's just good manners and helps keep relationships sweet with the landowner.

dunc

Shame more landowners don't have the more enlightened approach to cave access as the estate does..

dunc

CNCC handbook gives following information..

Write for permission to : Dr.J.Farrar, Ingleborough Estate Office, Clapham, via Lancaster, LA2 8DR. Tel; 015242 51302 (weekdays 8.30am-1.00pm). Give plenty of notice and enclose a SAE. CNCC membership an advantage.

Stu

From what I can gather from a local, permission is pretty much assurred (they now don't bother contacting the office) but a phone call is cheap and shows how responsible we are!

Getwet

Thanks for the information. If we go I will call first, if the landowners are supportive it pays to keep things that way.

dunc

Forgot to mention in previous post the same address/number should also be used for access to Newby Moss and the Allotment (which has a closed season from 31st March - 1st October).

GetWet said:
Thanks for the information. If we go I will call first
Enjoy your trip if you go!

Pitlamp

Dunc - it's Dr.FarrEr (not "Farrar"). And in the 50+ years since Dr.Farrer came to Clapham to run the estate he has been absolutely great with cavers - we owe him a huge debt of gratitude (as others have suggested above). He likes to be asked - and prefers a bit of warning and an SAE.