Wanted: Mendip Underground: A Caver's Guide

James Hall

Hello, I realise I might have a better chance of getting hold of gold-dust but I'd like the latest version of this: Mendip Underground: A Caver's Guide 5. Anyone have a copy or know where I can purchase this?

mikem

Wells museum might still have one copy, otherwise it's sold out, but shouldn't be more than a couple of years before version 6 is available...

James Hall

Thanks Mike - does that mean that version 6 is currently being made and worked upon or just that it is likely? If the former, is there a target date for its release?

Sid

Hi, MU6 is in development and the current release date is late next year.

MU5 is available as a reference book at some Somerset libraries, definitely in Frome.

Cheers

mikem

Pretty sure they are gone already, but there are still copies of the previous, 1999 edition available for ?5 (bottom of page). Unfortunately MU6 is likely to be delayed by covid for a couple more years:
https://www.mcra.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=for_sale

ZombieCake

Is Somerset Underground 3 similarly delayed?  Must admit not sure what the original timescales were on that series.

moorebooks

ZombieCake said:
Is Somerset Underground 3 similarly delayed?  Must admit not sure what the original timescales were on that series.

Volume 3 had been planned for this year but Covid  prevented that.
I have been advised that they have  been put back for quite a while, there is still fieldwork to be completed. The books are also printed in India and we know the difficulties with Covid there. Its been suggested that 2023 is likely

Mike

Mibbs

I'm going to get my feet wet in the chat and ask if there any copies of this still knocking around for sale?

zzzzzzed

James Hall said:
Hello, I realise I might have a better chance of getting hold of gold-dust but I'd like the latest version of this: Mendip Underground: A Caver's Guide 5. Anyone have a copy or know where I can purchase this?

Is this it?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224703992247?hash=item345166d1b7:g:Z7gAAOSwhJRhhBDy

Ali M

zzzzzzed said:
James Hall said:

Is this it?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224703992247?hash=item345166d1b7:g:Z7gAAOSwhJRhhBDy

That is MU4 - we still have copies of this for sale, but very out of date. Sorry, I have no MU5 (including second hand copies) for sale at present.

mikem

Yep, MU4 is still available from MCRA for only ?5 (see previous post) - it includes almost all the classic tourist trips

PeteHall

Arguably, MU4 is still the best book to keep in the glovebox of the car for quick reference while you are out and about.

MU5 is obviously prettier and contains a few new caves  :)