purple cave algae

bren

whilst caving yesterday we came across an old inlet which had some type of purple algae on the wall. it was away from the mainstreamway and didn't appear that water had risen up the wall to where the fungus/algae was. It glowed a violet colour and gave a speckled coating.The intensity of the colour seemed to increase as more light was focused on it. It really was an unusual find and we could not decide what it was. The consensus was that it was some type of algae that didn't need light to grow but reacted to light.it looked organic - certainly not mineral.We were about 300m from the entrance but perhaps only 5-10m below the surface.Anybody got any ideas what this may be - it has us all talking as some of the guys have been going underground for 40 years and had never seen anything like this.thanks

Cookie

Wow, some of my pics  :eek:

The purple growths were in the twilight zone, not deep underground. They were on the walls in picture C3 which was taken looking out of the entrance.

bren

Thanks for the replies.my pc blew up last sunday n i only just gotit back.the oictures were nothing like what we saw.it was more like a surface coating as appose to a growth.but thanks for the input - will try to get a photo to help,