Most beautiful cave formation in the UK?

PeteHall

I know my favourite formation, it's not got a name and I bet most people don't even notice it. It's a really beautiful curtain in Charterhouse, shortly before 'The Blades' (which do have a name).

I always take a moment to admire it on my way past, but have deliberately never photographed it as I'd prefer to see it in a cave than on a screen.

If anyone wants to see it, let me know and I'll organise a trip  :)

My favourite formations are in GB cave. The little helectite hidden in the wall just after you cross the bridge towards white passage. Always stop for a look.
Not the most beautiful in the UK, i admit, but i would put an argument up for Fernhill cave and the curtains that fill the passageway. 
Neil

Cavematt

I was lucky enough to get my first trip down Otter Hole last year, and was gobsmacked... after recent trips to see the amazing sights at the far reaches of Draenen, Aggie, OFD, and some of the less well visited and extremely well decorated parts of Ease Gill Caverns... I wasn't sure whether Otter Hole would live up to it's reputation, but it did not disappoint. Other locations that come to mind are GB Cavern, Glasfurd's Chamber in Gavel Pot, Shuttleworth Pot, and of course Notts II. Also, a highly biased viewpoint (as one of the discoverers), but the formations in the main streamway of Excalibur Pot are not so shabby; especially considering the grottiness you have to endure to get there!

Laurie

CavefestUK said:
My favourite formations are in GB cave. The little helectite hidden in the wall just after you cross the bridge towards white passage. Always stop for a look.
Neil
Agreed.  :)

Tommy

Quite possibly the spoil heap at any rapidly progressing dig.
The beauty is implicit in the constant progress and discovery of new passage.

Exploration > Conservation.  :read:

chunky

For me so far ones that stand out, in no particular order and probably missed a load off:

Never Land and Pork pies -Upper flood
Trafalgar & Courtesan Agen allwedd,
Hall of thirty -Otter Hole
The curtains in Fernhill
Straws in the longer crawl, flabergasm and Cloud Chamber - Dan yr ogof
Straw grotto and helictite passage - Craig a Ffynnon
Medusa's Children and The Geryon's Lair - Draenen
The, horse hair fine, helictites down the knackeraker pitch OFD 1 & 1/2
Bhowani Junction, swamp creek curtsins OFD 2
Crystal pools, tapioca - cwm dwr
Curtain and blades - Charterhouse
Manganese curtains - Notts 2
Colonades - Easegil
Gour hall - St cuthberts swallet
Aragonite formations, urchin oxbow - Daren cilau

Favourite passage....That's a whole other list!

Looking forward to adding to the lists this year :)

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

andrewmcleod

christopher said:
I remember seeing the Bonsai Tree for the first time, very special

I remember thinking that the Bonsai Tree itself seemed nothing particularly special _in its context_ - i.e. a streamway with miles of amazing pure white helictitic formations.

Possibly I was looking at the wrong one though!

The Helibeds is probably the most outrageous formation I've seen in the UK. Daren does seem to have a lot of the pretties...