Author Topic: Birmingham University(s) caving club  (Read 588 times)

Offline bauton

Birmingham University(s) caving club
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:30:50 pm »
Hi,
I have been thinking that it is past overdue that the West Midlands gets a student caving club. I am considering resurrecting BUSS in some form or another at one of Birmingham's 4 Unis in the next academic year. if anybody is interested in joining or helping, especially current students, please get in touch,  there is much to do.

Online alastairgott

• QWERTY abusing
  • forum hero
  • Live in Hope, Die in a Vein
    • CURB Hope Valley Parking Restrictions
Re: Birmingham University(s) caving club
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:42:20 pm »
I believe Coventry uni mountaineering club would be a good place to start. It's on the verge anyway, just needs a nudge in the right direction.

Online Badlad

• Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:01:02 am »
Great idea.

Offline Caver Keith

• Caver Keith
  • stalker
  • The Dudley, SWCC
    • Dudley Caving Club
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:59 am »
I will talk to members of Dudley Caving Club tomorrow evening but I'm fairly certain that, as a local caving club, we will be happy to help and assist in any way we can.

Offline chunky

• obsessive maniac
  • The Dudley, SWCC
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:42:37 pm »
Caver Keith beat me to it. We're only just down the road and get underground on a fairly regular basis so would be happy to help out if we can.  :thumbsup:

Offline Pegasus

• NCC
  • Administrator
  • forum hero
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:22 pm »
I went to Birmingham University and was a member of BUSS - would love to help  :)

Offline bauton

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:47:21 am »
That's great to hear such support. I will be reaching out to student mountaineering/climbing clubs and other societies to coerce invite current students to get involved to form a committee that one of the Unions will recognise.
Pegasus,
what happened to BUSS in the end?

Online wildsurf

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:40:47 am »
I was a BUSS member pretty much until the end. It died from a failure to attract and retain fresher's. Active membership dwindled away until there were no longer any student members. There are a handful of us final members who cave occasionally and still sign ourselves as BUSS. Tom Clayton now of Red Rose was the final president I believe. I'm not sure exact dates, but I'd guess 2001 would have been the final year.

It was a sad end to a fine club and whilst I am mostly and arm chair caver these days I'd help out on trips where I could.