Mine shaft on RAKE VEIN, Nr Sparrowpit

Spires

Yesterday, a group of us were walking through Rake Vein plantation in the direction of Sparrowpit and we came across a fenced, open shaft, with two metal belay bars in place. I thought it might be Rake Shaft, but according to CofPD it is covered with concrete slabs. Any information regarding exploration & name? of this shaft would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Paul.

AR

I've got a dim recollection of having looked at the Peter Crabtree article referenced in CoPD and I think he also published something in the NCMRS journal about the area? Might be worth your while having a run over to Glutton Bridge and see what's in the collection, the BSA record books may also have something.

Pitlamp

Is this the "Rake Shaft" on Coalpithole Rake? If so, see Dave Elliot's "Caves of Northern Derbyshire" Part 3 "Perryfoot / Coalpithole" (May 1975) pages 1-4 and 20-23  and photo inside rear cover. This will almost tell you what you wanted to know and also gives useful general information.

If you've not got this, you could ask the BCA Librarian to scan it for you.

Pitlamp

P.S. I ought just to mention, some of the other shafts further west go down through shale, so just be aware of the risk of the sort of dangerous gases that may occur.

AR

Found a scan of the Crabtree article that I made a while ago (I knew I'd read it at some point) but it was about the historical records rather than exploration. I suspect that was covered in the article Les Salmon did, given his active exploration in that area.

Spires

Thanks for the replies. I have checked relevant issue of Caves of Northern Derbyshire and it is definitely not Rake Shaft.
Cheers, Paul.